Canvas/Leather Rucksack recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonT

Feb 14, 2013
Bristol
Hi all,

First post from me...

I was after a 40/45 litre rucksack and particularly wanted a traditional style wax canvas and leather trim, brass buckles - "Brady" style affair.

So I initially bought a Swedish army surplus from Military Mart but it isn't particularly comfy and other options seem somewhat limited.

In time I may look into a Frost River / Duluth-style and import from the States but it's an awful lot of money. I was also considering a Roe sack from Garlands or similar but these tend to lack padded straps.

I've otherwise spent hours trawling google to no avail (predominantly "fashion" ones about) so I guess I'm asking if there any other brands that fit the bill in terms of the Frost River/Brady style, don't break the bank or the back and that are available in the UK that you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to the forum.

If you're not after a huge rucsac then do a search for backfriend. They had some canvas and leather packs last time I looked. Day sized stuff though.

cheers,
Toddy

What sort of size are you after?

Some of the fashion ones are ok especially if you modify them.
EBay is always worth a trawl.but there is a LOT of tat to trawl through.try vintage stores but you may pay through the nose as it has the word vintage added to it
I think some German mountain packs are canvas....

It's times like this i wish rugged river was still operating. They made some lovely lovely packs (I've two) but alas they are no more.

JonT

Feb 14, 2013
Bristol
Thanks for the replies so far.

I guess about 40-45 litres is about Ideal - Kelly kettle, food for four and a few assorted bits and pieces.

Trying to get a sense of scale on these Duluth packs is hard - Is Timber Cruiser bigger than Woodsman and where does the Isle Royale fit in with the scale of things?

Apart from FR and Duluth are there any other manufacturers I could research?

J

JonT

Feb 14, 2013
Bristol
Thanks but nope - I was thinking of going a little more upmarket.

Was thinking more Brady/Frost River stylie with leather, canvas and buckles, lots of buckles, lots of canvas and as much leather as they'd care to use... it's nothing obsessional you understand ;)

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I've had my beady eye on one of these for years. Never got round to buying one though.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54122?feat=49400-ppxs&dds=y

248833_140_41

JonT

Feb 14, 2013
Bristol
I know - That LL Bean seemed just a tad too small - about the same size as a Fjallraven 30l

I also toyed with the idea of a roe sack - this is nice, as the other in loden cloth.

deluxe-linen-ro_82144889_std.jpg

But I'm really after something more dedicated to backpacking - FR and Duluth aside - are there any other manufacturers of linen/canvas and leather you guys can make me aware of?

J

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
So I initially bought a Swedish army surplus from Military Mart but it isn't particularly comfy..........

Jon

No traditional leather/canvas pack, [especially one without a waist belt] will be more comfortable to carry than another, generally speaking.

The canvas packs are great for a winter enviroment, where you dont want to exert yourself too much and sweat, they hang low on your back, and you will have thick padded clothing on your shoulders.

Or a canoe, [which is what Duluth are designed for], or the boot of a car, where you are not carrying it, [except for short portages,] but you want something bombproof.

Norwegian Telemark ones from MM at £15 are utterly brilliant value.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've had my beady eye on one of these for years. Never got round to buying one though.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54122?feat=49400-ppxs&dds=y

248833_140_41
had one of these for a bit, bit of a disapointment to be honest - the pack was ok but the straps were terrible, if they were leather they'd be alot better

if I were looking for a pack on the cheap iId get a Bundeswehr canvas rucksack

like this one

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78345&p=950670#post950670

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
You can make them pretty easily. I have a few that I have made, 2 duluth packs but my favorite is a US Forestry service fire fighters bag. It is just perfect for everything I do.
CCE-2009-spednic-lake-October-01.jpg

I recommend staying away from the frost river stuff as treated waxed canvas is very prone to abrasion. Don't take my word for it ask anyone with an oil skin coat for riding if they have holes along the ridged areas of their coat. The frost river ones are more of a townie thing but they sure are pretty. Duluth is expensive but it will last a lifetime. Woods packs here in Canada are another good option. Again a bit pricey but better than Duluth prices.

The Forestry service packs can usually be found on ebay for $30US. Some of them do not have leather straps but have web strapping instead. This is easily swapped for leather. You could opt to make one from scratch if you have the skills. There is also a guy on Song of the Paddle named 86inch that makes a few packs. I am unsure if he is on this forum as well?

JonT

Feb 14, 2013
Bristol
Hi,

Thanks again for the responses - so there aren't any UK manufacturers or US manufacturers other than Rigged River, Duluth, Frost River and Woods?

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE