Canvas Confusion

Methusela

Jul 10, 2008
London, uk
Hi All,

First off, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum...

Second, I am considering trying to make a cowboy style bedroll since the majority of my camping is done from the car these days and they look warm and comfy but the price tags on them (and swags too) are probably more than my bank manager could bare.

My question is what kind and weight of canvas would be ideal for this? i've seen 12 oz used on some swags, would 9 oz do the job as well? Also any input on waterproofing and sealing seams/stitches to make the thing warm AND dry would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Duluth make their bedroll from 15 oz canvas - and their packs as well. I have made rucksacks from 12 oz canvas and it seems perfectly adequate for the job (although I wouldn't want to go down to 9 oz) and should do for a bedroll. Tents tend to use 15 oz and I suppose a bedroll is nearer a tent than anything else - depends on how often you're going to use it, in what conditions and if it has to stand up to rough treatment.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I have the above listed Duluth bedroll in 15 oz canvas, waterproofing wise, i use a bit of greenland wax every now and then and then melt it in with a hair dryer, i love my bedroll, so much more roof than my gtx bivi bag, most of the time if it looks as if its going to be really wet i will rig a tarp above it, but then most people with waterproof bivi bags rig a tarp any way.. go for it you wont regret using a bedroll, ideal for car/canoe camping.

Col...

Methusela

Jul 10, 2008
London, uk
Hi,

Thanks for the advice, i'm reckoning 12 ounce will do the job, maybe 10 at a pinch, as i said it's intended mostly for use out of a car for relatively short breaks so it shouldn't get too beaten up.

So my next plea would be.... does anyone know a good supplier for 12 oz canvas suitable for his task? After several sessions browsing the web i can safely say i know less about canvas than i did when i started. I have found a supplier of 12 oz canvas in the uk but it is intended for artists and i suspect over priced, if nothing else. in an ideal world i'm looking for a width of about 7 feet (2100mm ish) and a length of 15-17 feet (5100mm roughly), maybe a little over to allow waste/accidents.

Any advice you could provide on this point would be greatly appreciated

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE