Canvas Cleaning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 19, 2014
Stoke on Trent
Hi Guys,

I am new to this site, and am looking for a bit of advice.

I recently bought a bell tent from ebay. The main canvas has suffered considerable mildew damage, I have attached a link to some pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wwysn6zsdajgf5d/AAA2HVpjq9u8FLqs7dE5Lf0Ka

I have contacted some cleaning companies, and some of them are quotes are a bit silly, I could buy a new bell tent for the amount quoted!

I have a free weekend and am going to attempt to clean the canvas myself, what would be the best course of action?

Thank you

Michael

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you go to an equine supplies place and get yourself some Hibiscrub, 500ml for around a tenner, and dilute it at around ten to one it goes sort of soapy; do what's recommended above with brush and lukewarm water then
do the same again with the Hibiscrub and leave as long as possible in the sun for the UV to get to it.

The Hibiscrub is a really excellent anti microbial and anti fungal and will ensure that anything in the canvas is rendered harmless. Take the usual precautions about letting it run into watercourses all in one go, but it's pretty safe stuff, chlorhexadine (main ingredient) is used as skin cleanser and even mouthwash, so is not going to do much harm.

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
As mentioned, milton diluted is good for stopping the mildew from spreading. If you get it up in the garden for a few dry days the sunlight will also help. I've used the fabsil universal cleaner on mine a few times and it's pretty good but I hate to say, I don't think you'll ever get the stains out. After all that you'll obviously have to reproof the whole thing, I use fabsil in a garden pump spray which seems to work pretty well

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE