can't shake my forging fever

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
I enjoyed making the last knife so much I had to start another one....And it's winter which is a perfect time to fire up the forge. I'm going to experiment with some design elements. Like a good womble, I chose a rusty old piece of file for the steel. Ground off the teeth and split it in two for two blades. One will be a wood carving knife. The other a general purpose puukko style blade.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
forginhill: I learned very quickly that striking accuracy with the hammer on hot metal gets the job done. I am so clumsy.
Then I paid the local farrier to forge a copper adze blade for me. Saw the profound difference in his ability. Amazing.
My lesson is that you practice your craft a lot. It shows in your results.

trotsky: vehicle leaf spring metal has been used for wood carving tools here in the Pacific Northwest for a century+.
Apparently, very old Volkswagen spring leaves are wonderful, as are power lawnmower blades.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks Trotsky and Robson...

Trotsky, as Robson said, those leaf springs will make great knives and tools. I've used it many times.

Next I heat treated. I'm on a Japanese clay quench kick right now and W2 (file steel) is a water hardening steel anyway. Got the blades quenched and tempered.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks, crosslandkelly.

So I finished them up. I'm testing the tang connection using just epoxy. The last one I pinned, but I feel that epoxy is more than adequate, which greatly simplifies that aspect of knife making. I'm also testing thin blades. The blades on these are just 2 mm at the thickest. We'll see how they stand up to some field testing. Handles are some unidentified tropical hardwood a friend gave me.

The carving knife.

The puukko.

Both.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Wow , very clean work again!
That carver looks beautiful and the clean lines and geometry of the spoon just shows off your great skills.
👍👍

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks for the feedback! Good to hear confirmation from serious bushcrafters like you all...

Crosslandkelly, did you see your ferro rod? Works perfectly...really enjoying it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE