Canonteign Falls / Dartmoor (shadowhawk tracker course) this summer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Hi,

I'm registering for the Tracker course with Shadowhawk in July (anybody going?). I will stay a few extra days after the course for hiking.

I never hiked in Devon/Dartmoor (I live in France) and have a few questions about the right kit setup for the place. I could gather some info from various searches but would appreciate your comments and corrections:

- potentially very rainy
- lots of ticks and aggressive wood ants (--> hammock prefered)
- more moor (how suprising!) than forest --> little natural cover & can I hang my hammock? Is that true for Canonteign Falls area?
- water should be plentiful (I have a filter)

Any info from the locals would be welcome ;)

Cheers,
P.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Dartmoor is a great spot and I only wish I could join you.

Certainly for most of it there is no use in taking a hammock. Most of the wooded areas are fenced off at the peripheries. (Though someone may have more specific experience of Canonteign Falls.)

I never had much trouble with bugs on there.

You need a big stick if you plan to leave the marked paths (which you should) as there are Dr. Foster holes everywhere.

Study your maps closely for routefinding around the worst of the marshes and beware how easy it is to get lost on there.

I'm not sure about the water given all the animal grazing that goes on there. I've carried my own, but only for one-nighters. Someone else may know better.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Thanks.

I prefer myself mat and tarp if conditions do not strongly call for hammock.

And how about the midges and mosquitos? In France I sleep just fine with no net. I'm not too much of a mosquito magnet apparently. Should I expect (much) worse in the moor?

P.

tmt77

Oct 20, 2008
Exeter
I seem to spend most of my time up on the moor atm what with one thing and another. Only couple of things; are have a decent set of water proofs (it will rain at some point waterever the forcast says :) )
Get a pair of gaiters they are brilliant for the boggy bits and the not quite so docter fosterish holes.
AS for bugs ive never had any problems in just a basha and bivi bag up there. and yeah there is loads of surface water around
Its a lovely spot have a great time
Tom

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
I've never had a problem with bugs or ticks on Dartmoor,I never take water with me,there are plenty of streams,springs etc.I just make sure I use a filter bottle (cant remember the make,it's out in the car,I think it's Aqua Gear).As has been said you may aswell leave the hammock at home.Hope you enjoy it.:)

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
I would echo what's been said above. I never noticed any problems with insects and spent many days and nights on Dartmoor years ago.

I may just have been lucky and couldn't possibly recommend it but I never filtered/boiled/sterlised any water on the moor and never had any sort of problem, and I drank gallons of the stuff. Of course, I was much younger then and may have had a stronger constitution.

Dry socks would be good if you are planning on walking any distance.

Enjoy the moor. We are trying to get some sort of trip planned for later in the summer this year. :cool:

Martin

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Thanks for the answers. The recommendation for dry socks and gaiters is received loud &and clear ;)

Comforting to hear the bugs are not in the extreme.

I have a water filter so should be fine on that dimension.

Cheers,
P.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE