Canon pocket camera users

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Wired Magazine has an article here...

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Supercharge_Your_Camera_with_Open-Source_CHDK_Firmware

About 'hacking' your cameras firmware, expanding its abilities...

"Digital cameras have powers beyond what is immediately available to the user. On a standard Canon, for example, the fastest shutter speed option offered is 1/1,600 second, but the hardware can handle much more than that -- up to 1/60,000 of a second.

CHDK, the Canon Hacker's Development Kit, is an open-source software project that can be loaded on cameras using Canon's DIGIC II or DIGIC III firmware platforms. It unleashes new features including RAW file format, live histogram display, a battery readout, and the ability to run scripted actions on a camera."

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I've had a tinker with this. It's very flexible and the nice thing is it's a soft fix, so delete the file from your memory card and the camera will be back to normal. No risk in mucking up the firmware. You don't even update the Firmware in the camera so there's no risk.

The only obstacle I've found is that it's difficult to process the RAW files on a Mac. Not even Photoshop's RAW converter likes it. There are a few pieces of software out there that work but they're quite clunky.

One of the best improvements for my A710 IS is the facility to show areas of overexposure live in the display. (Zebra mode, I think it's called) There are loads of things - but some knowledge of photography and a lot of knowledge about computers is required to really get the most out of it.

There's also a couple of games in the firmware too, if you get bored waiting for the light!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE