Canoeing help for a starter?

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Hi all, I'm here again after some advice. I'm really keen to start canoeing. What do I need to learn? Ideal 1st canoe fore and gear for a few days out. And most importantly. How much are we talking to get started? I live in north staffs are there any clubs close by? I've canoe'd in my youth so could handle a canal or flat water. Thanks alot

Ray

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Go to songofthepaddle.co.uk and join up there - loads of advice on getting started and everything else, assuming you mean an open canoe as opposed to a kayak. Fantastic site and very friendly

I started canoeing in 1991, no SOTP then, so went to a local club, took basic course, 1* and 2* awards, then just took it from there.

NS

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I was in a similar position & found the local clubs using Google... Just put in your local area, county etc.. & see what pops up, look for reviews of each club/venue, then send them a mail

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Hi ray,
Yep a good bet is join a local club, alternatively there are a good number of places that will teach you the basics on a one or 2 day course which can lead to a BCU award. Not sure what waters are near you but like others have mentioned google it.
As for gear it depends what you want to do for multiday trips i think your looking at either a sea type touring kayak (plastic ones are far cheaper than fiberglass) or a canadian canoe. Either way buying new can be quite costly. There are some small manufacturers that do fiberglass canadians at quite a good price or look for one second hand. Our local outward bound centers can be a good place to look. Another option are the inflatable ones but i have never paddled these, i am sure some of the other forum members will be able to advise on these.
Then of course you need a bouancy aid, floatation bags for the canoe are a good idea, paddle, clothing...., spray deck if you fancy a kayak.

let us know what you fancy canoe or kayak..

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Hi all. Thanks for the info. I was thinking a Canadian canoe. I will be mostly doing Days and nights out. Possible with a mate sometimes too. What exactley are floatation bags for? It's mostly canals my way really. But plan on using it on lochs and lakes once competant. Thanks alot guys. Oh yeah, what's the legal stance? Do you need licenses tickets etc? Again cheers

ray

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am a level 4 coach and offer 20% discount to site members - if you visit West Wales and fancy some coaching just drop me a line! :)

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Best advice, join a local club, there you can try several boats, see what you like to paddle, then buy a canoe. The club may know of best deals and where to buy and there is plenty to learn and it will stop bad habits before they start.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Good luck with your canoeing adventures, Ray. It's a great way to travel on a camping trip. Word to the wise: don't ask the airbag question over on
SoTP unless you want a never-ending thread; do a forum search first and read up on it. Basically many of the Brits use them and none of the Canadians do.
Do you need them? No. But I'm Canadian, what do I know?:rolleyes:

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Ray,
floatation bags are just that, they fit in the front and rear of the canoe and tied in the idea being that if you tip the canoe theres less room in the canoe for water and that it also provides positive bouyancy to allow you to get back and bail the rest out, or at least get back in and paddle back to the shore half submerged!!
Like these... http://h2okayaks.com/engine/shop/product/UK-BB005/Ruk+Canoe+105cm+Buoyancy++Bag

As for permissions usually your ok, however even up here in the lakes there are a few exceptions that require a permit. A good scource of info is the local tourist board. Rivers however can be a different kettle of fish as owners can be a bit funny especially on good fishing ones!!! Access on these may be governed by the fishing season.
Have you any ideas on specific waters?

shortyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 18, 2010
Lancashire
Hi Ray

There's a very active club at Stone-funnily enough called Stafford and Stone Canoe Club of that's any use.

Like others have said I'd get a big of instruction using other peoples kit and build your own gear up slowly (it's a huge outlay otherwise and your thoughts on what you want may change as you learn more).

Have a look at the open canoe symposium. It's an annual event and rotates between locations in england, Scotland, and Wales. This year it'll be in England. Lots of really useful workshops and like minded people-probably just like the meets posted on here.

Biggest tip paddling wise is just to relax. Let the boat and your backside-knees move under you. Bit like some sort of giant deformed weeble!

Good luck with it! It's an amazing sport

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Thanks ever so much guys. Just the sort of info I was after. I'm Not a million miles from you john, how much we talking including the discount mate? I take it will include a canoe? Haha. As for waters I'm thinking of. EVERYWHERE! Mainly canals here. Then lake district and the lochs of Scotland! Also these sea going kayaks! Do they cross the channel in them? Or just shore lines?

Ray

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks ever so much guys. Just the sort of info I was after. I'm Not a million miles from you john, how much we talking including the discount mate? I take it will include a canoe? Haha. As for waters I'm thinking of. EVERYWHERE! Mainly canals here. Then lake district and the lochs of Scotland! Also these sea going kayaks! Do they cross the channel in them? Or just shore lines?

Ray
I normally charge £100 per day - the discount brings it down to £80 inc the use of a canoe and buoyancy aid. If you want to stay overnight for the training then free use of a patch of woodland that only I have perm on which is not too far from the river (by car) and walking distance from a pub!

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
I normally charge £100 per day - the discount brings it down to £80 inc the use of a canoe and buoyancy aid. If you want to stay overnight for the training then free use of a patch of woodland that only I have perm on which is not too far from the river (by car) and walking distance from a pub!

Currently in negotiations with the missus john. I shall let you know the outcome!

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Also john is the BCU paddlesport jobbies something you need or is it optional? I'm more concerned with being competant than have a ticket saying so! If it essential what does assesment cost? Cheers

Hi all, I'm here again after some advice. I'm really keen to start canoeing. What do I need to learn? Ideal 1st canoe fore and gear for a few days out. And most importantly. How much are we talking to get started? I live in north staffs are there any clubs close by? I've canoe'd in my youth so could handle a canal or flat water. Thanks alot

Ray

PM me mate, I go paddling with a local group from time to time.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Also john is the BCU paddlesport jobbies something you need or is it optional? I'm more concerned with being competant than have a ticket saying so! If it essential what does assesment cost? Cheers

The BCU is totally optional - unless you want to be a coach!
The Star awards etc do give a structure to measure your progress ... if you want one....

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I started three years ago, with my son. We went over to the Lakes after booking a tuition session with "Platty+" on Derwentwater. It was good and well worth the £55 I spent but now, with hindsight, I'd recommend engaging a professional coach like John or if you came up this way; Kim Bull.

The problem with asking about which boat to buy and how much to pay; is that it's mostly subjective:)

I made the mistake of buying the same model of boat, I learned in, an Old Town Discovery 158, without trying any others first:rolleyes:

It was great, built like a tank, green, well put together etc.
P4200064copy1derwent.jpg

paddled like a bath tub, handled poorly on the water and weighed 38kilos + ( way too heavy, for me to manhandle on my own) and not ideal if I'm honest!

Then I got an Old Town Pack, to compliment the Discovery. At 15kg, I could grab this boat and throw it on top of the car, any time and just go, but at only 12 feet long,it was too short and wide making it quite slow, with little room for kit.
P4130027copy-pack5th.jpg

Then I decided to get a bit more serious and think things through.:bluThinki

I test paddled a total of 9 different boats, over a period of 7 months.
My initial favourites were the Nova Craft Pal and Bob Special, both much lighter boats than the Disco and both paddled very well indeed though not quite "there" for me, at least!
I also tried a couple of 'Mad River' boats ( which both 'oil canned' awfully!), an Old Town 'Charles River' in royalex ( good but not to my taste, looks wise), a couple of Venture boats ( cheapish,cheerful and fairly capable) an Apache ( very good but glass fibre)and a wenonah or two.

I had more or less decided to invest £1100+ in a Pal, when the cooker went belly up!:togo:

So I ended up buying a Nova Craft SP3 Prospector, the same material and weight as my first boat, but immeasurably better, all round:cool:

If weight is not an issue for you, then buy one of these:D
P6190016copyresized.jpg

P5100014.jpg

P6190022copyresized.jpg

P6190024copyresized.jpg

[video=youtube;jTx9Yjh4fTg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTx9Yjh4fTg[/video]

great boat but; Alas! still too heavy for me to manhandle on my own and therefore shortly to be sold:sadwavey:

Buying wise; if you can, buy second-hand.

Both my first boats were second-hand and immaculate.

You could get started for not much money, depending on whether you can find a decent second-hand boat.

You can spend a lot of money, before you realise that some of the stuff you have bought, falls squarely, into the "emperors new clothes" category:eek:

Probably not much help, as I say; I reckon it's all subjective.

kind regards

R.B.

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Cheers john and badger. Good advice badger. I'll wait till I've got a bit of knowledge to base a judgement on. I've had an offer to go a local club I think so will check it out. But I'd like a full day get a good grasp and feel for it. £80 and a night out is a treat for me though which I've been granted end of march. So I'll pm you in a few weeks john with regards that. Cheers again

Ray

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE