Canoe Buoyancy

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Finally finished my home made buoyancy blocks for me boat .
Got an 8 x 4 sheet of polystyrene insulation from builders merchant a couple of rolls of Gaffa tape and an old cammo groundsheet and hey presto :)
P8140602.jpg

P8140603.jpg

P8140604.jpg

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Am I correct in assuming that the black "fastners" prevent the bouyancy from sliding out from under the straps?

If so, a very nicely executed modification.

Smoggy

livefast999

Aug 12, 2008
uk
That's a good idea, I like it, very resourceful of you.

How does it look without the groundsheet on it, i'm trying to visualise how you joined the polystyrene, in order to get the shape of the canoe, and did you have to glue it ?

Will you be tesing them, with a controlled capsize ?

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I basically started from the bottom with a 2 inch strip and worked my way up making the pieces wider as i went . Then gaffa taped them all together. Waterproof gaffa tape is very very sticky . I will be donning my drysuit and putting it over when time allows then attempting to get back in while on the water.
I will make sure and get some pics taken as that could have the potential for much hilarity :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Now that looks good!
I hope that they are seriously attatched - I lash my buoyancy to the end loop and my hull lacings - I have seen buoyancy part company with canoes in grade 3 rapids....

Looks neat. How well is the tarp bonded to the blocks? I have a horrible vision of you testing them rigourously and ending up with the tarp still held in the hull but the blocks bobbing around sniggering. Would a small beam across the hull, fixed in the same way as the seats, make them less likely to want to escape.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Looks neat. How well is the tarp bonded to the blocks? I have a horrible vision of you testing them rigourously and ending up with the tarp still held in the hull but the blocks bobbing around sniggering. Would a small beam across the hull, fixed in the same way as the seats, make them less likely to want to escape.

That is a very good idea fella . I think I will go ahead and do that and post a pic in your honour :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE