Candle recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Okay, so I’ve been using a couple of the bushlite lanterns for a while and haven’t found decent candles for them yet.

They are supposed to use ‘standard’ emergency candles, I find these a big of a pain due to trimming down to fit etc etc...also the burn time on these isn’t great...probably 1-1 1/2 hrs...and there seems to be lots of molten wax leakage which makes for a messy tidy up when they’re done.

I’m thinking that a better quality candle might burn better, any recommendations?...or is it time to turn to the oil lamp on winter evenings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
You could do worse than buy a uco lantern, they use their own proprietary candles, a bit pricy but they do last longer than ordinary household candles, I doubt if one would fit in a bushlite lantern though

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I use a couple of uco lanterns but I make my own candles for them, using beeswax from my hives. Took a lot of faffing about to get the right wick for a proper burn but I got there in the end.

Will post some photos at the weekend, will get the stuff out. I made a mould from silicone and cast then candles in the that.
I use my uco lanterns a reasonable amount just because if like the softness of real candle light

Reactions: wookii

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
+1 for the UCO lantern, I tend to pop it on the under-ridge line of my tarp and it gives me plenty of light, though if it's too windy put it on the deck with a windshield around it and that'll keep it going and reflect more light back at you. I'm fairly convinced the citronella candles work too.

Reactions: uncleboob and MrEd

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
I use a couple of uco lanterns but I make my own candles for them, using beeswax from my hives. Took a lot of faffing about to get the right wick for a proper burn but I got there in the end.

Will post some photos at the weekend, will get the stuff out. I made a mould from silicone and cast then candles in the that.
I use my uco lanterns a reasonable amount just because if like the softness of real candle light

Funnily enough I was thinking about wicks this morning. What I have noticed with the candles I have is that the wicks burn fast. So the wax melts and then just runs off rather than burning...ending in a messy pool. I think if the wicks were much better quality then the wax would burn more efficiently. Where do you source your wicks? Many thanks j

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
You could do worse than buy a uco lantern, they use their own proprietary candles, a bit pricy but they do last longer than ordinary household candles, I doubt if one would fit in a bushlite lantern though

I did originally have a couple of uco’s, the tea light and the candle version, but switched to bushlites due to the ‘convenience’ of using a standard candle...as with most things it hasn’t proven straightforward!

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
+1 for the UCO lantern, I tend to pop it on the under-ridge line of my tarp and it gives me plenty of light, though if it's too windy put it on the deck with a windshield around it and that'll keep it going and reflect more light back at you. I'm fairly convinced the citronella candles work too.

I’d agree with the citronella observation, certainly improved things when I used them

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Funnily enough I was thinking about wicks this morning. What I have noticed with the candles I have is that the wicks burn fast. So the wax melts and then just runs off rather than burning...ending in a messy pool. I think if the wicks were much better quality then the wax would burn more efficiently. Where do you source your wicks? Many thanks j

I pinch them off the wife who make candles for her market stall. Will ask who she buys them off. Flat braid or square braid and sized appropriately is the key.

a wick that is to large will burn to hot and you get a big melt pool, this photo show a candle in my uco that has a to large wick and causes

97F9C526-0736-443F-8435-283026872001.jpeg

I haven’t yet found the ‘perfect’ wick for the uco for the ‘perfect burn’ but have found as good as I can be bothered to keep experiment with, technically I am doing it wrong because I am using a flat braided wick in beeswax which apparently should be used with a square braid wick. I dunno. I am
Not selling them so haven’t got into the minutiae if it all tbh

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I use Prices household candles in my Bushlite. They are slightly thinner than the ones I got with my Bushlite and need a thumb length trimming off the bottom to make them fit (always handy to have some wax soaked cotton wool pads for fire lighting) they last ages, never really timed it!
would I go back to a UCO lantern? Nope. The availability of useable candles in small shops everywhere does it for me (found appropriate sized ones in a small bush store in Namibia, try that with a UCO!)
Louis

Prices Candles

Last edited:

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
I've just been mulling over the option of oil candles which you could refill with lamp oil or whatever you can get which lights, the main hurdle I can think of is how to stop it spilling. You can get spill resistant wick holders but I wouldn't have a warm fuzzy feeling that my kit might not become significantly more flammable if I fall over.

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
In addition to choosing the right size wick for the candle width and compositions, it's useful to know that wicks apparently have a "right side up". Not enough of an issue, since dip candles are made one in each direction on a U-bent length of wick, but it makes enough of a difference to perhaps be worth considering for lantern candles.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
I use Prices household candles in my Bushlite. They are slightly thinner than the ones I got with my Bushlite and need a thumb length trimming off the bottom to make them fit (always handy to have some wax soaked cotton wool pads for fire lighting) they last ages, never really timed it!
would I go back to a UCO lantern? Nope. The availability of useable candles in small shops everywhere does it for me (found appropriate sized ones in a small bush store in Namibia, try that with a UCO!)
Louis

Prices Candles

Ill have a look at those, thank you. Do you get much mess and waste with these? I seem to spend more time chipping the hard wax off than I do enjoying the light!

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
I've just been mulling over the option of oil candles which you could refill with lamp oil or whatever you can get which lights, the main hurdle I can think of is how to stop it spilling. You can get spill resistant wick holders but I wouldn't have a warm fuzzy feeling that my kit might not become significantly more flammable if I fall over.

Those are entirely a new proposition to me! I did consider swapping to using the small miners lamps which I imagine were made to manage a bit of tipping!

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
I pinch them off the wife who make candles for her market stall. Will ask who she buys them off. Flat braid or square braid and sized appropriately is the key.

a wick that is to large will burn to hot and you get a big melt pool, this photo show a candle in my uco that has a to large wick and causes

View attachment 64061

I haven’t yet found the ‘perfect’ wick for the uco for the ‘perfect burn’ but have found as good as I can be bothered to keep experiment with, technically I am doing it wrong because I am using a flat braided wick in beeswax which apparently should be used with a square braid wick. I dunno. I am
Not selling them so haven’t got into the minutiae if it all tbh

Fantastic! It’s amazing the complexity and considerations of the basic candle! Appreciate the info, cheers j

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
In addition to choosing the right size wick for the candle width and compositions, it's useful to know that wicks apparently have a "right side up". Not enough of an issue, since dip candles are made one in each direction on a U-bent length of wick, but it makes enough of a difference to perhaps be worth considering for lantern candles.

Is that to do with the direction of the thread once formed into the wick do you think?...I hadn’t realised that a dipped candle had a doubled over wick...wonder if that’s why it burns more efficiently?

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Those are entirely a new proposition to me! I did consider swapping to using the small miners lamps which I imagine were made to manage a bit of tipping!

I think we may have to get advice from another industry save cobbling something together that could be dangerous. Step forward the Caterers!

With the added benefit of being able to warm your brew on top of the candle.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Ill have a look at those, thank you. Do you get much mess and waste with these? I seem to spend more time chipping the hard wax off than I do enjoying the light!

Not much waste. I will clean up my lantern and light it up this afternoon. Give you some idea of burn time and excess wax drips.
Louis

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Is that to do with the direction of the thread once formed into the wick do you think?...I hadn’t realised that a dipped candle had a doubled over wick...wonder if that’s why it burns more efficiently?

Not sure why it makes a difference, but apparently it really does.

With dip candles, you take a long bit of wick and hang it in a upside down U-shape over a rod and then as you dip the two ends in the wax, each end forms one candle, so of course, that means that in one of the candles the wick will be the right way up, and in the other candle it will be the wrong way up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE