Candle lantern vs Jantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
yep to the polish tipi, personally i think they are ace when you dont need to carry it too far (weighs about 3.5kg which isnt loads but enough when my other tent is 2kg).

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
yep to the polish tipi, personally i think they are ace when you dont need to carry it too far (weighs about 3.5kg which isnt loads but enough when my other tent is 2kg).

are they roomy inside??? could you shove a wood burner in one as well? or is possible just to have an actuall fire in the middle?

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
it looks like i will be on the hunt for some jars matey ..

if you live in wiltshire you are more than welcome to pop over, i have literally hundreds as we make a lot of jam.... try and get the little ones from restaurants, tea light fits in it a gem!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
rather than go off topic do a quick search on polish army laavu they have been pictured and discussed in great detail but basically open fire no stove (some have made little stoves with ammo boxes) roomy well i am 5'11" and me and my 3 year old son stayed in one comfy enough
are they roomy inside??? could you shove a wood burner in one as well? or is possible just to have an actuall fire in the middle?

Feb 1, 2011
shropshire
Great idea .. Bought a uco lamp some years ago good bit of kit !!! just have to be careful where i pack it in my bergan the glass doesn't take kindly to knocks and bangs ??? And the candles are not cheap either ?????
So ive just gone to the fridge cleaned out the last bit of strawberry jam washed the jar put in a tea light FANTASTIC its as bright as my uco and the tea lights are cheap as chips:)

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Great idea .. Bought a uco lamp some years ago good bit of kit !!! just have to be careful where i pack it in my bergan the glass doesn't take kindly to knocks and bangs ??? And the candles are not cheap either ?????
So ive just gone to the fridge cleaned out the last bit of strawberry jam washed the jar put in a tea light FANTASTIC its as bright as my uco and the tea lights are cheap as chips:)

so true eh! and if you get a taller jar you can stick a big sodding candle in it! although you might need to train it occasionally. jam jars appear to be a hell of a lot more durable then the uco as well.....

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i fill my jar with tea lights with lid on when carrying it and stuff it in an old sock, safe as houses also it can go in the middle of the sleeping bag for added protection. Oh and if you are using other candles instead of tea lights (for instance i have a uco candle from an old broken lantern i cut it in half) few drops of hot wax in the jar and stick the candle in central ...

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i fill my jar with tea lights with lid on when carrying it and stuff it in an old sock, safe as houses also it can go in the middle of the sleeping bag for added protection. Oh and if you are using other candles instead of tea lights (for instance i have a uco candle from an old broken lantern i cut it in half) few drops of hot wax in the jar and stick the candle in central ...

good tips. this seems to be working out rather nicely all in all.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
just tried it with an old aniseed ball jar, hmmmm, methinks that the jar lid is just too small to support the air flow

bugger

ah well, better finish off the marmalade and try it with a larger jar!

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
just tried it with an old aniseed ball jar, hmmmm, methinks that the jar lid is just too small to support the air flow

bugger

ah well, better finish off the marmalade and try it with a larger jar!

im currently just using my with the lid up like that.... not going to cut holes in it... it does the job...

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
used to make these as kids for bonfire night, every kid had one, it was great seeing a dozen or so bobbing around in the dark :) happy days :)

i def knew they werent knew. prob were actually the forerunners to uco to be honest eh! glad it brought back some nice memories!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE