Candle lantern vs Jantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
ok, got bored. this is the result of literally walking to the barn, digging out a suitable jar from my massive stash, drilling two holes, getting some climbing chord and threading it through. total effort, 2 mins, total cost 0p as i had everything already.

weighing it up against candle lantern. weight of candle lantern 100gms. weight of jantern (jar lantern?????) 150gms. cost difference is pretty big too! even if you had to go out and buy an empty jar and some chord.....

the decision is yours....

attachment.php

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I made a load of these with the niece and nephew a few weeks ago when we went to a Wassail down in the west country.

The trick was getting enough holes in the lid so it would still burn when closed up.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
isnt there a picture on the thread? there is on my screen..... havent tried it yet.... but i the candle lantern doesnt get hot so i dont see why this would....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
isnt there a picture on the thread? there is on my screen..... havent tried it yet.... but i the candle lantern doesnt get hot so i dont see why this would....

I saw the picture when I was at home this morning, that was XP and Google Chrome, can't see it from the office PC though, IE 8 I think

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
it is irritating that i had to actually create a webpage just to post a photo.....

sorry for all the messing about, hopefully you guys will see what i am on about now!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i made one last week with a jam jar after considering buying a candle lantern. Since i use it in my polish army tent wind is not an issue and saved a lot of quiddage in the process. I didnt put holes in the lid though i just have it with the lid off cord tied to the neck of the jar and put the lid on when its travelling...

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i made one last week with a jam jar after considering buying a candle lantern. Since i use it in my polish army tent wind is not an issue and saved a lot of quiddage in the process. I didnt put holes in the lid though i just have it with the lid off cord tied to the neck of the jar and put the lid on when its travelling...

same difference lid or not i guess. nice to know someone else uses them. id never seen one of these until today and they are so damn easy to make!

polish double poncho tipi style tent? they any good?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE