can you survive..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bivvyman

Mar 29, 2009
Leeds
no ......really....left out with the clothes you wear, a basic fire lighter & a place you have come to realise , there is water, food around & shelter making items..can you rough it ..seriously !! Have you tried ?? winter & summer.......

Beleive me its not as easy as you think..I am pretty good outdoors, i can hunt & build, i have no fear..but i know places, where at times i though it maybe the last........had the feeling??

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
no ......really....left out with the clothes you wear, a basic fire lighter & a place you have come to realise , there is water, food around & shelter making items..can you rough it ..seriously !! Have you tried ?? winter & summer.......

Most certainly. BTDT, got the T-shirt (litterally in one case). As long as you add some stuff to the winter list, or define winter differently from me.

Beleive me its not as easy as you think..I am pretty good outdoors, i can hunt & build, i have no fear..but i know places, where at times i though it maybe the last........had the feeling??

No, not really. But then I have spent enought time in the woods that I have no fear of them. Sure, put me with inadequate gear on the side of Mount Everest, or somewhere 300 km outside Alice Springs and I would probably have problems, but not in the regions I travel. Of course one can always add hurdles until anything as hard; take away kit, go through the ice, end up between a bear sow and her cubs, get snakebit, fall down on top of a wasp nest, chop your foot off with an axe... But under reasonable circumstances; no, and I can't understand the feeling you describe. Much, much scarier to have a truck change lanes carelessly and set you spinning down the highway at 70 km/h.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Of course one can always add hurdles until anything as hard; take away kit, go through the ice, end up between a bear sow and her cubs, get snakebit, fall down on top of a wasp nest, chop your foot off with an axe... .

I think if all that happened before breakfast , I would probably call it day and get back into the sleeping bag.

Still. I guess things could only get better....!!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset

That's how I prefer it, I'd stick a knife (so to speak) into the equation though.
A knife and a firelighter should be good enough to get you by.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Who knows? It's a mental thing, if you put yourself in that position then you have the facility to take yourself back out if it gets too much so it will never be a proper test of whether you can or not. When you pull yourself from the wreckage, bury your wife and children and the rest of the passengers on board the plane and then live happily ever after living like a wild man then you would be able to say I did it. For me, bushwhacking is a choice, a hobby and a way to spend my free time. I don't see it as a competition.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Don't know. Maybe.

Where, what time of year, plant availability, availability of raw materials, water source, etc. Too many variables to tell. I'd have go, though!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I am not very knowledgeable about survival/bushcraft yet but I still think I could survive on sheer determination, using what I do know to get me through.

forestwalker

Who knows? It's a mental thing, if you put yourself in that position then you have the facility to take yourself back out if it gets too much so it will never be a proper test of whether you can or not.

Only if you "fail". If you succeed when it is only a test then you can assume you would have survived the same things if it was for real.

When you pull yourself from the wreckage, bury your wife and children and the rest of the passengers on board the plane and then live happily ever after living like a wild man then you would be able to say I did it. For me, bushwhacking is a choice, a hobby and a way to spend my free time. I don't see it as a competition.

The "rest of life" scenarios are rather extreme. Say instead 1-2 weeks, with the kind of kit a normal person might have if they were planning on spending a day watching birds, picking mushrooms, whatever. Clothes, some rainwear in case it starts raining, an extra layer in case it gets chilly. No possibles bag full of goodies, no magic firestarting toys, no knife. If you can survive two weeks under those circumstances you would have survived probably at least 99% of all "lost person in the woods" incidents. The roughest ones I know of that was bushcrafty in nature (i.e. not crawling down parts of Mt Everest with broken legs or swimming ashore after your fishing boat sunk) was a ptarmigan hunter who spent a week stuck in the snow after an avalanche and Slavomir Rawicz and friends walking from a Siberian prison camp to Tibet (assuming that story is not a fake). Most incidents are far, far, less arduous; 1-3 nights out, perhaps minor injuries.

Now we come to why one should practice for something that one can also ask oneself: "how did you manage to be silly enought to end up there?". For me the answer is that it gives me freedom and confidence. Knowing that if my kit all went away while on a canoe trip (overambitious lining attempt, went on a side trip and a forest fire ate your kit, whatever) I could make it out, knowing that if my tent blows away in a winter storm I can dig a snow cave and live comfortably in it, knowing that if the fae turns my head (of course I could never loose my bearings on my own...) and I get lost picking cloudberries I can just spend the night, and find my way home tomorrow. Knowing that even without a compass I can find north. Knowing how to start a fire even if all my matches are wet and my metal match lost. Knowing that if I go through the ice in winter all is not lost. Most of these things are unlikely to happen to me, but if they happen I know from experience I can manage.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

I'd like to think I could stick it out for a fair while in the uk climate, but extreme cold or heat then I think I'd be strugglling.

I've had quite a few nights in natural shelters without a sleeping bag, but athough it's not really my thing, it's good to know you can tolerate it though should the time come. To be honest though I like my big soft hammock and lightweight tarp too much and usually have them with me if I'm out.

Again food and water isn't an issue in the areas I go, in fact you'd be able to walk to safety in a couple of days anyway so starvation wouldn't be an issue.

I'd soon get bored of fish and rabbitts though I reckon.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
if it was for 48 hours or perhaps a little longer then i think i could. if your talking deserted on an island for possibly 10 years then no i doubt i could. i'm somewhat of a social animal.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
depends on loads of factors, im new to bushcraft but would like to think i could easily last a couple of nights out. After reading through LOADS of info on here/youtube ect now i think i could last a fair bit longer.

Thats in summer though, winter i think i would find it very hard.

After i've been out a couple of times i may try going out with bare kit to see how i cope, not far away and take food as a back up but see if i can last or if i cave in to the easy way

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE