Can you identify this medal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
WWUnknown.jpg

This medal was awarded to my friend, Dick Robinson's Great Aunt, who served as a Nursing Sister on the front lines of France from 1915 to 1919. They have no idea where it is from and what it signifies, or even if it is an official medal.

She was a member of the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve, and she was also awarded the Military OBE, the Royal Red Cross First Class, the 1914 Star, British War Medal 1914-1918, the Victory Medal 1914-1918 and the Medaille de la Reine Elisabeth.

My friend has published her diaries on the Internet, and some of you may be interested to read them here: Edith Appleton.

If anyone knows what the mystery medal is, please could you let me or Dick know? Dick's contact details are on the Edith Appleton website.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I would say its not a medal as such but a pin similar to a cap or lapel badge to identify the service the wearer was in. just a guess but probably a womens voluntary corps and be supplimentary to the quaranc and ramc. similar to red cross nurses.

I have a bit more info now. You're right, Dave, it's a badge and has "JWGaunt London" and the number 76403 stamped on the back.

I've found out that JW Gaunt were taken over by Firmin Ltd, so I've e-mailed them to ask. I've also e-mailed the WRVS (formerly known as WVS) to see if it's one of theirs, although they didn't come into being until the late 1930s but, as the man at the Army Medical Services Museum said, she may have volunteered during WWII too - she died in 1958.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
so basically its what nowadays would be a red cross badge. it will have been to let people know that she was meant to be there and was staff.

bit like proper quarancs wore nursing whites instead of a uniform like the ramc

I now know exactly what it is, and it's not a women's badge at all - another friend has one in his collection.

The 'WV' stands for 'War Volunteer' and were worn to prevent ignorant people calling them cowards for not being in the armed forces, and being given white feathers.

It would appear that the badge did not belong to Edith Appleton because she was military personnel, although it was found in the same box as her medals, which is what threw us off-track.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE