Can curry be dehydrated?

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Ok after approx 18-20 hours of being in the dehydrator at 53 celcius everything is finally completely dry.
The rice was done within about 8 hours, the beef bolonase was done in about 12 hours but the Korma took a huge amount of time I think becuase it was so densely spread out. The Korma is now a dry crumbly/flaky texture and I reckon it will keep well.

Now I'm going to bag half the food up and see how long they store well for at room temperature, the other half I'm going to warm up to see how well they reconstitute.

qx39uf82kma6parjpt51.jpg

p7qetyt2uf6kwsw9wyvk.jpg

2chmxs9ue9byy8jugld.jpg

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Ok it's been a week since I dehydrated the curry and beef bolonaise. It's kept perfectly dry in the plastic bag and have every confidence this stuff would keep for many years if not longer.

I used my Alpkit MyItMug and practiced how much water this stuff needs to rehydrate, suprisingly both meals only needed a very small amount, which is great for water conservation.

The Korma sauce with rice re-hydrated/reconstituted perfectly with both texture, taste and consistency indistinguishable from when I freshly made it last week - absolutely incredible!
The beef bolonaise also needed very little water, but while the tomato sauce and veggies hydrated just fine, some of the larger clumps of beef were still slightly dry, so I think it's best to really crushed the dehydrated meals in to a crumb-like consistency rather than leave any large clumps.

Both meals required only to be heated up, which took less than 6 minutes. Some thorough stiring is also required to ensure the dry mix is fully hydrated.

While I was initially disappointed with the size of the Alpkit MyTiMug when it first arrived, after using the thing I have to say it is actually quite the opposite being twice as big as necessary, for example look at that bowl of beef bolonaise... that only took up less than one third of space in the mug - amazing!

The performance of the mug is also flawless with quick heat conductivity yet also quick to cool down when off the flame, and absolutely no warping or heat spots whatsoever. I love this mug!

Oh yeah and if you guys havn't got an excalibur dehydrator with praflexx sheets, you are missing out on some quality cuisine on your trips out!

fhpzuc1ar2o0uooobvf.jpg

7w2fng1ydadjzt1lsj1.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE