Can curry be dehydrated?

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all. I would love to be able to dehydrate my homemade Korma for bringing out on long hikes, but I have my doubts about weather this curry can be dehydrated considering all the fat I put in it; creamed coconut, tinned coconut and yoghurt!

Anyone more experienced with dehydrating here that could let me know the possible results? Would a partially-dried sludge be the result? Would keep okay for a few weeks?

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Seriously though a few weeks is a bold move for something that is still wet. Tumeric does have antiseptic properties though but id not trust that at all.

Better i think to take out your mixed spices and cook it when out. I use the same recipe that british red posted about on here from kris dillons the curry secret book. Its fab to make something so tasty on a fire.

Last edited:

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
You could make it and vaccuum seal a bag full that you then boiled up in a water bath to sterilise it. Once opened it wouldnt keep afterwards though.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Better i think to take out your mixed spices and cook it when out. .

I either take ground dry spices or pre make a large batch of spice mix and pound with ginger n garlic n ghee to make a nice paste to take out with me. Then a selection of pasata/onions/coconut or whatever I fancy to make up the sauce with the paste.

As for dehydrating, not my speciality i'm afraid!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Dehydrate it and then chuck it in the freezer, vac sealing will help but a freezer bag will do.

As a rule I avoid dairy but if you're planning to eat it within a couple of weeks I'd definitely try it

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Curry sauce can.

Meat can.

Together....dodgy but possible.

I'd dehydrate diced "meat of choice" (chicken or beef - never pork).

Then I would make a "sauce leather" from a sauce without meat.

Combine with water on site.

Home canning of a full curry is a doddle - but much heavier.

Red

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I recently bought a book, backpacking gourmet iirc, which has a number of recipes for dehydrating whole meals.
Nothing curry wise that I remember but then again I have only skim read it so far.

I can recall several recipes for pasta dishes included those with mince and other meats.
The theory seems to be as long as you dehydrate fully, I'd guess a good 12-15 hours, you end up with a completely dry meal that can be put in a zip lock or vacuum d
Sealed bag and stored for long periods.
When you get to you campsite just add hot water and allow to properly rehydrate.

I know you can get commercially made dried curries for camping etc... But suspect these may be freeze dried and will definitely have preservatives etc... Though I would give it a go making one to test.

If your having meat, I.e chicken, in it it may be an idea to remove it once cooked and dehydrate separately to the sauce and veg/rice etc... Just to make sure it's fully dried plus it should speed up the whole process.

Hamster

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Oops sorry just seen reds post below, must have been typing mine when he posted but again i think separating the components would be the safest option.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wouldn't get to fussy about separating the ingredients if you can keep them small, I usually make my meals with minced meat rather than bite size chunks. The only exception was a left over turkey curry from Christmas a couple of years ago. The meat was regular chunk but I kind of pulled it apart with a couple of forks so it became stringy, one of my best meals yet I'd say.

When we cooked and prepped for the TGO last month we cooked all the dishes up as a whole and then put them in the dehydrator until they were done. One dish we christened Stodge took the longest, big slices of mushroom, lots of curly kale and probably too much salt meant it took almost 24 hours before it was fully dried. If you make a chilli I found kidney beans rehydrate better if you break them down or slice them in half, even 20 minutes in the cosy and they were still like bullets.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Matter of choice Shewie. I find things like "hamburger rocks" much more flexible. I can use them in a cottage pie, pasta sauce or chilli - and bulk prepare them.

It also avoids fats in the sauce.

But thats just how I do it!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've rinsed off my browned meat in a colander with the kettle before adding any other ingredients, with the rocks you mention do you dehydrate them with the fats?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
nah - basically slow roast (in an oven) - blotting off the fat as you go. Ends up like gravel. Lasts for a couple of years in an airtight jar.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've rinsed off my browned meat in a colander with the kettle before adding any other ingredients, with the rocks you mention do you dehydrate them with the fats?

Safer option for long term storage, you want as much fat gone as possible. Most Americans certainly that I know and speak to cook and rinse before drying meat rocks or meat string.

Dehydrating curry leathers is no problem, stinks the house out and your dryer but can be done. Personally I'd rather take ingredients and make the meal on site, dried meat, veg etc, a curry/spice mix of choice or some Patak's paste you double ziplock (or better still vac pack a portion).

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Thanks for all the input guys. The teflon sheets for my excalibur dehydrator arrived today so will be attempting to dehydrate my Korma and will be sure to separate sauce from meat as someone advised here.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Here we go. Homemade korma consisting of cocconut cream and milk and ground almonds, and a beef bolonase and boiled rice.
Can't wait to see how they turn out tomorrow morning.

axabv1i36f6env4wui.jpg

sudrmhzb2atoz4ny0039.jpg

4deq63azs7ph5xpio6z.jpg

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
its been 9 hours now and the rice was fully dried ages ago and the beef bolonase is coming along great with the korma in 3rd place being a semi-dry paste.
I think everything would of been dried by now if I had left the front panel on over-night, but I wanted to experiment with it off to see if drying would be faster as I figured an open door would dissipate any moist air quicker than a closed door but since google has revealed absolutely nothing about the benefits of using the excalibur dehydrator door I guess it's supposed to always be fitted on!

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I remember years ago buying "vesta" packet meals the portion sizes were a little meagre and you had to read the packet to know what it was you were supposed to be eating but they did ok and were easy to stuff in the rucksack I'm not sure how they dried it all out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE