Can anybody identify this plant please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
1.Well developed herb paris? Paris quadrifolia (cant quite see the shape of leaves)

No. The leaves are shaped more like a goosefoot or nettle, although the texture is unlike either of those (more smooth and shiny.)

2. looks like dog mercury/Mercurialis perennis

No. None of them are Dog's Mercury, which is a ubiquitous weed all over Sussex. Too big.

3. Looks like rose bay willow herb/Epilobium angustifolium

With yellow flowers??

I'm glad they're not easy, anyway!!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hmmm.... Wheres harvestman when you need him :)

Is this for ID, or a bit of bushcraft quiz?

It is for ID. I don't know what these plants are and I'm going to be very disappointed if I still don't know when this thread is over. I'd post them on the WildAboutBritain website, but I'm banned from there for talking about foraging for fungi.

My area is really fungi, but I want to be able to at least say which group any plant I find growing wild belongs to, and I can't with these three.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk

Excellent! One down, two to go. Common Gromwell...seeds and leaves once used as a cure for kidney complaints and stones. Listed by Bartram as an anti-gonadotropic, and once used as a "mild contraceptive." Not as common as it used to be, but likes limestone/chalk, which is where I found it.

I like the map:

http://www.brc.ac.uk/plantatlas/index.php?q=plant/lithospermum-officinale

It's distribution in the south of the country clearly follows the geology. The two arcs in the southeast are the chalk hills of the north and south downs, with the acid/clay of the Weald in between, further west it is widely distributed where the two lines of hills come together to form Salisbury Plain. Further west again, where the chalk is replaced by older rocks, it fades out again.

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE