Can an axe replace a saw and a knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I gotta admit I get a brand preference sometimes too. With axes my softspot is for Plumb but they're no longer being made.

I've sharpened my axes to shaving sharp before just because I could, but I gave that up years ago and just went back to my old farmer/logger roots. All an axe needs is a quick sharpen with a file and go to work. As you say, duller is better for splitting (3 generations taught me that) As for the heat treatment, don't you reckon that goes out the window the first time you burn out a broken handle to replace it?
i would think only the poll would be affected and its only realy mauls that have been treated. And i think most people tend to drill them out now rather than burn unless you get caught out on a trip, good point though

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
It really does depend on what you're going to do doesn't it? The last time I used an ax was on a fly in hunting trip where we got dropped off for 10 days on the edge of a lake. We used my 100 yr. old splitting ax and a Gransfors hatchet along with a 4' bowsaw. We used all of them a lot. The saw to cut firewood for the stove in the walltent and to make a couple of tables out of 2 pieces of plywood that would fit into the plane as we didn't have room to bring a table. The hatchet was great for pounding nails when I made a platform between 3 trees for bear hunting. On back packing trips I'd never,never bring an ax as it's weight I can't justify. If you're bushcrafting and don't have to carry stuff too far the ax is indeed a good thing to have. I really like my folding saw to cut dovetail joints in logs by the way.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Put an axe head on a fire to burn the wood out ????? I would never dream of doing that to any metal tool ! You would just ruin it !(as you have already pointed out). Although I did have an uncle who was a farmer who used to do that with his tools when they needed re shafting.
I think we are talking about diferent axes for different tasks here !

I gotta admit I get a brand preference sometimes too. With axes my softspot is for Plumb but they're no longer being made.

I've sharpened my axes to shaving sharp before just because I could, but I gave that up years ago and just went back to my old farmer/logger roots. All an axe needs is a quick sharpen with a file and go to work. As you say, duller is better for splitting (3 generations taught me that) As for the heat treatment, don't you reckon that goes out the window the first time you burn out a broken handle to replace it?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
i would think only the poll would be affected and its only realy mauls that have been treated. And i think most people tend to drill them out now rather than burn unless you get caught out on a trip, good point though

Yeah I suspect most of us drill them out now (frankly it's easier than burning with power tools) But we're probably the first generation to do so, and I don't remember my parents/granparents ever mentioning any problems. Nor do I remember an from back when I burned them out.

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I no mate i can remember watching my grandad making and repairing axes billhooks and other farm tools and saddlery bits and theres was never much thought given to heat treating bit they did the job and were always repairable and have now worked there way down to me :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Put an axe head on a fire to burn the wood out ????? I would never dream of doing that to any metal tool ! You would just ruin it !(as you have already pointed out)...

Actually I was pointing out that it did NOT ruin it. The heat treatment didn't really matter.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
You should use all the tools available to you, it's a good excuse to buy new shineys :)

Each tool makes one particular task slightly easier, why make life hard for yourself.

In my experience an axe will process firewood faster than anything else, how you gather that firewood might require a saw. A knife can sometimes be the tool I use the least on a trip, but you always need a knife in bushcraft, it's the law :)

Absolutely agree. I started with only a knife, but then I added also an axe for but always consider to carry also a small folding saw for peculiar tasks. In my experience you can carry all of them without excessive load

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
As I said earlier we are talking about different axes for different jobs ! For splitting logs(as someone already suggested) you could use a spade. But for cutting across the grain you need a sharp tool. Ask any woodworker (or Bushcrafter).
If your comment of 'The heat treatment didn't really matter' was really true, then why do we bother with heat treatment at all ???? .

Actually I was pointing out that it did NOT ruin it. The heat treatment didn't really matter.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I like knives and I like axes but when it comes to saws

its a Bahco or an Opinel

You might like a s Slky though

What about a decent chopping knife and a saw combo?
For me weight is always a consideration so I finish up with a clipper SAK and a Bahco
ooops no axe
And that's usually how it is

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i tend to always take an axe, just because i like to, it comes in handy when carving and cutting bigger logs as my folding saw is just a standard size...

in answer to your question though NO, an axe will never replace a knife, i have tried on a 5 items weekend, you can manage yes, but the finer work becomes very difficult and time consuming, the saw is always quicker than an axe due to the straight cut that is made through the log.

your knife should be fine as long as the handle is tight before you start battening with it, after all a mora stands up to it very well....:) but i would say reduce the size of your blade to 3-4 inches, its all that is required really, that and a folding saw does the job, but then i nearly always have my axe when im away, be it for the day or a long weekend.....

try the smaller knife and saw combo first, it will cost less, £20 should get you both, just get a mora and a garden center folding saw, jobs a fish....:)

regards.

chris.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As I said earlier we are talking about different axes for different jobs ! For splitting logs(as someone already suggested) you could use a spade. But for cutting across the grain you need a sharp tool. Ask any woodworker (or Bushcrafter)...

Bushcrafters are hobbyists. As for woodworkers, do loggers count? I agree that you need a sharp axe for cutting across the grain, just that you can get it more than sharp enough (or at least I always could) just using a file (just like the Boy Scouts, the bushcraft experts, taught)

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
looking deeper into this thread, all is being realy said is differnt applications differnt tools...

or you could look at it and say- I'll buy cheap see if i use it, if I dont use it that much what have I lost.. also if your new to axes/knifes whats the point buggering up an expensive one learning how to mainatin it then having to ask someone to rescue a mucked up thing.. its also good to experiment with differnt things.

I know buy once buy right..... you hear it all the time, but hey...... learn as you go along, advice is just one side to the real answer for YOU,.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just as aside, I have often wondered if buying a cheaply made tool often reflects in the users path to learning good technique, if its a beater will it always be beaten, or will the skill required to use it in an efficient and tool sympathetic manner be learnt?

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
If I am hiking for a few days and nights then small saw and knife are good for me, but if I am going to be hanging out around a camp then I like to bring an axe as I like to practice axe skills as-well as the obvious benefit of having a good tool for splitting lots of fire wood

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Bushcrafters are hobbyists. As for woodworkers, do loggers count? I agree that you need a sharp axe for cutting across the grain, just that you can get it more than sharp enough (or at least I always could) just using a file (just like the Boy Scouts, the bushcraft experts, taught)

If you are just 'logging' (splitting and chopping wood for fires), then an axe is an axe.

As soon as you get into shaping wood with an axe, it's a different story.

Anyone good at sharpening can put a good edge on a cheap axe. But it won't last.

I tried it. GB mini hatchet vs Sandvik. Used same tools to put a decent polished edge (paper-slicing sharp) on both of them. Then started working some seasoned wood.

The Sandvik very quickly lost the fine edge and shaving cuts were no longer possible. With the GB, I was still able to use it like a fine woodcarving knife after considerable time.

That's the difference. Not worth fussing over for general use, but if you are intending to do carpentry or carving, then a quality axe is much much better.

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I've been wondering if something like a Gransfors Hand Hatchet could replace both.

Can it? Yeah.

Is it going to be easier than having the choice of three tools? Probably not.

Is using an axe when its dark, or when you're tired, or for fine work like cutting sticking plaster off a reel going to be safer than using a knife or a saw instead? Probably not.

But possible? Yeah, why not? Might make a good weekend challenge :)

Rat

rg598

Native
If we are talking about cutting and splitting 2-3 inch thick wood, then just about anything will do. In fact, you can probably switch to a smaller saw and knife. A large saw and a 6 inch knife is overkill. You can also easily get the job done with a hatchet and a pocket knife. The weight however will probably be a bit larger than using a smaller knife and small saw combination.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE