Campsite recommendations in south England.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jimmypw

May 23, 2012
Surbiton
I am organising a camping trip with some people at work towards the end of August. Usually I'd just stay wherever felt right although on this occasion my colleagues want some creature comforts such as toilets. Could anyone could suggest any camp sites that match the following (or subset thereof) criteria that's somewhere between Winchester and Tonbridge?:
  • Fires allowed
  • Trees suitable for my hammock ;)
  • Nearby pub(s) / restaurant(s)
  • Absolutely no camper vans, mobile homes or cars on the camp site
  • Washing facilities
  • Toilets

I have done a bit of research myself but the websites I find suck monkey nuts and the information they provide is completely inadequate. I'll keep looking though.

Thanks in advance.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I usually go to forgewood camping, meets all the criteria except they sometimes allow cars on the site. They've got an on site restaurant (nice bit of brekkie) and a few local pubs, shower block and loads of woods for hammocking and there is a huge estate to go wandering. The only problem is its not cheap, looking at £12.50 per person per night and £5 for a bag of wood for fires (usually lasts 1 or 2 nights). I've been going there for a few years as its just what I'm after - wild camping with a few home comforts eg toilets and the staff are always friendly (usually get a daily quad bike visit to make sure I'm ok and ask if I need anything).

Heres a link http://forgewoodcamping.co.uk/, I found them through the uk campsite website that Kepis mentioned.

jimmypw

May 23, 2012
Surbiton
@kepis: thanks for that. A list of sites in an area that allow fires is a lot easier to digest than blindly looking at campsites which is what I was doing.

@pauljm116: I think we have a winner. I'm not too concerned about price as the alternative is miles away we will be saving a fortune on fuel.

Thanks for your suggestions!

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
@kepis: thanks for that. A list of sites in an area that allow fires is a lot easier to digest than blindly looking at campsites which is what I was doing.

@pauljm116: I think we have a winner. I'm not too concerned about price as the alternative is miles away we will be saving a fortune on fuel.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I hope you like it there as much as I do. I'm off there in a couple of weeks. Theres loads of deer and foxes roaming in the woods so it can be quite noisy during the night (seen a few foxes, no deer though but theres loads of signs that they've been there).

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Any chance a list of such sites recommended by members could become a sticky?

As we all are likely to have slightly different criteria, a brief description added to a location would help.

Personally, I'd be happy to pay for a lack of facilities as I'm tired of paying for caravan sized pitches, games rooms and all night lighting etc. I wish it was just a matter of a corner of a field and a few pence like it used to be before camping became glamping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE