Camping with old wounded knee (pic heavy)

Allybally

Forager
Feb 23, 2006
Glasgow
After my recent knee operation and having being couped up in the house for nearly 12 days, I received a PM from Jason (JAG009) asking if i was fit enough to go for a weekend of wild camping up Loch Lomond side, well to say half my kit was packed before Jason could reply to my YES was a understatement.

We headed up on the Friday morning to the east side of Loch Lomond and camped up for a weekend trip before the new camping ban starts on June 1st.

I had a fantastic time and it was great to get out of the house for a spell, and not enough credit can go to Jason, he drove us there and back, not only did he carry his own kit to the camp site but also all my gear. He also did nearly all the camp work collecting wood, cutting wood, tending the fire etc - No wonder his nickname to everyone who knows him on here is MANSERVANT.......Anyway a big thanks mate.

knobspictureslomondapril2011069.jpg

Jason putting in the hard work cutting oak with the Duluth saw.

knobspictureslomondapril2011058-Copy.jpg

Collecting some dry standing dead holly to try out on the bow drill (even though i knew i couldnt kneel to do it, the collecting was fun enough and keeps my eye in)

knobspictureslomondapril2011060.jpg

Loch Lomond looking stunning on the Saturday morning when we were out foraging for food and tinder. This is my favourite time of year when the termperature rises and you wake to a beautiful sunrise in your bivvy and more importantly - No MIDGES......

knobspictureslomondapril2011100.jpg

Some of the foraging i managed on the saturday morning, found some Pignut, ramsons, primroses and wood sorrell and a small fungi that kind of looked like a small last years chicken of the woods, but not an expert and wasnt too sure so took photo to check up on later. Most impressed that i found the pignut, at this time of year the leaves are only a few inches high and the forest floor is still covered with last years oak leaves...

knobspictureslomondapril2011107.jpg

A hill side covered with ransoms leaves, they are a bit late this year with the winter we have had, but the smell after some night time rain on the saturday morning was stunning, i just love the wild garlic smell as you walk on by...

knobspictureslomondapril2011079-Copy.jpg

Some of the kit i take up the woods with me that i love so much.
pictured is the Duluth bushcrafter pack, a rugged canvas pack with tons of room, is really sturdy and takes my GB Axe and Duluth saw in the front. My trusty GB small splitting axe, well needed as this is an oak wood and the Duluth Bob Destrude buck saw, one of my favourite pieces of kit that i take everywhere with me.

knobspictureslomondapril2011083.jpg

A picture of the ancient oak wood, to the right of the photo is an ancient hill fort, pretty cool to camp in these places full of history. This wood was so alive with spring, to wake to the sound of woodpeckers overhead was just amazing to me...

Overall a fantastic weekend with a good friend, amazing weather (all 4 seasons in the space of 20 minutes) and for once when the Mosh Pit crew werent there, we even managed plenty of bushcraft practice :headbang: You know who you are!!!!
(CL would be proud of us)

Glad to see you oot and aboot getting some of the CL practice.
Ally

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
brilliant!!

i,m loving the "Sniper Bowdrill"

that low lying marshy bit looks so fertile too,..

some lovely pics, thanks for putting them up,...

Stu

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Great pics troops, looks like a great location. Good to see you use an Estwing Jason, I,ve got two that I use you,ll need to show me how to put a good edge on them. Colin take it easy pal, you,ve got a manservant there and a good friend.

phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE