camping first aid kit recommendations?

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Which 'off the shelf' first aid kit do people carry / use and recommend for 2/3 day camping trips.

I know most people will build up their own kit and personalise them - I did but it was recently stolen therefore I am starting from scratch again so looking for a good 'base' kit. There seems to be a wide range available at varying cost.

Any suggestions/experience?

Levi

Feb 11, 2007
North Yorks.
I just bought a small "home, office, car, caravan" first aid kit at Home Bargains for £3; took everything I needed from it and put it into a smaller bag I already had.

Contents where:

1x Adhesive wound dressing (60mm x 70mm)
1x Adhesive wound dressing (60mm x 100mm)
1x Abdominal pad (127mm x 230mm)
1x Conforming bandage (80mm x 4000mm)
1x Conforming bandage (60mm x 4000mm)
5x Plasters ("normal" size)
1x Plaster ("odd" shape)
2x Cleansing wipes
2x Soap wipes
1x Small roll of microporous tape
1x Pair of scissors
10x Safety pins
1x Instant "ice" pack
1x Pair of latex gloves

Not a bad base pack at all for £3 :)

Jackdaw said:
You could do worse than trying one of the Lifesystems first aid kits. I personally use the Mountain pack as a base kit, but have added some bits and pieces over the years.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/Cat/111298?Ref=116989

Ive been looking at these and they are the first ive seen i would consider buying and only haveing to change a little most others seem to need a ground up rebuild so you might as well DIY
they are a little more expensive The Mountain Leader is £35 :eek: and not pocket sized

Boots do one in a similer but green bag for £19.99 havent seen it as they where out of stock when i looked yesterday

ATB

Duncan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I would say do the course first (almost). Remember what a first aider does, they provide the "first" aid in a situation. First off is to make sure you are safe, i.e. could what happen to the victim happen to me if I go rushing in there, what happened?, keep the airway open, stop blood flow and get help from the professionals ASAP, keep it really basic; most important, DO THE TRAINING first (feel free to put a plaster on a cut though ;) )

Sorry to go on about this, I've done it before with first aid threads, but the last thing you may need (or, indeed recieve), is an overconfident and over equipped person trying to save your life ;)

Gailainne

Life Member
rik

Fully agree, I'm hopefully going on 2 bushcraft courses back to back in the summer in Sweden with Bearcraft, and needed to put together a FAK for daily carry. I have a Gregson thats kept in my rucksack for camp, but reading posts on first aid, including yours realised it had been years (a lot) since I had done any hands on training, and starting looking around for courses, the British Red Cross do one day courses for £80, which I thought well worth the money, luckily I had asked the HSE advisor at work and he has kindly added me to the next 4 day work course, paid for by the company (something perhaps other people should look at). Benefit to me, benefit to the office, win, win (me perhaps being slightly ahead :D )

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE