Camping At Loch Trool "Galloway Forest"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 2, 2016
Northwest
Hello All,

This is my first post, so please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Steve, I'm originally from East Tennessee and have lived in the UK for the past 11 years. I'm planning my first, albeit long overdue wild camp at Loch Trool in Galloway Forest, to be exact. Having grown up in the mountains of Tennessee, I'm well experienced in wild camping or back "country camping" as it is referred to in the States. My question is this. When planning to camp at this location, can I expect to find enough firewood e.g. deadfall etc. for 3 to 4 nights camping, or should I bring some with me? Keeping in mind I will be using the campfire not only for keeping warm, but for cooking also. I should also state that I will be setting up camp within a 15 to 20 minute hike from where I plan on parking, as my wife and young daughter will be me. Therefore bringing firewood, if needed, wouldn't be too much of an issue, just a couple of extra trips to the car. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this post, I look forward to all of your replies.

Regards,
Steve

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Welcome Steve

With wife and young daughter for 3-4 days and possibly unpredictable weather, I would bring firewood along, it wont go to waste if you don't use it :).

rorymax

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Me and the missus have just been there wildcamping for a few days.
Pm me and we'll tell you about it

May 2, 2016
Northwest
Welcome Steve

With wife and young daughter for 3-4 days and possibly unpredictable weather, I would bring firewood along, it wont go to waste if you don't use it :).

rorymax
Yeah, I figured I would anyway. Was just wondering, thanks for the reply. :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I am regular wild camper up in the Galloway FP and Loch Trool is a nice place and with a bit of searching you can find some great isolated camping spots, google image search Loch Trool and you will see loads of my images from that area, plenty of wood to be had but it never hurts to take some as it saves on the gathering work, make sure you take good midge defence/repellants

May 2, 2016
Northwest
I am regular wild camper up in the Galloway FP and Loch Trool is a nice place and with a bit of searching you can find some great isolated camping spots, google image search Loch Trool and you will see loads of my images from that area, plenty of wood to be had but it never hurts to take some as it saves on the gathering work, make sure you take good midge defence/repellants
Thanks GGT, I've read alot about the midge problems. Got the three of us some face nets. Just hope my old Tennessee homemade mosquito repellent works over here.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
We parked less than 5 minutes from the car.pitched up the hammocks just off the trail.filtered water collected and proccessed firewood and had a great couple of days.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Its been on my list for a while, but a friend, took his spaniel out into the woods, and was bit in the lip by an adder and died.
My lab gets his nose into everything, so it kinda puts me off going, as I know there are adders up there.

rancid badger

There are Adders all over the shop Dave: [video]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/highexplosive/SARG/08000-TheAnimals/SpeciesPages/NativeAnimals/Reptiles/Adder/Adder.html[/video]
VBDistribution.jpg

Basically, if you're that worried by the risk of your dog being bitten by an Adder, your best bet is to stay away from any of the pink bits on the map above.

I've seen Adders on military training areas a few times, usually in the hands of half witted recruits or trainees. Never bothered me to be honest and never known anyone or their dog harmed by them.

I'd be more concerned about ticks than Adders.

Steve

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Like Badger said i've never seen an adder up there and never once worried about them but the ticks are as commonplace as the deer, the place is packed with deer and anytime the bracken is up the ticks are rife, buy a bottle of smidge it repels the midges and the ticks, it smells nice and is safe to use on kids n pets and plastics, hopefully your home made mossie stuff does a good job but if i were you i'd grab a bottle of smidge as it will save your misses and the bairns from being plagued if your home made stuff doesn't affect the hardy Scottish midge, also highly advisable to have a tom o tick remover tool kit especially if you are taking a hound and kids as they will get ticks on them unless they avoid all undergrowth, don't get me wrong for a second here neither the ticks nor the midges and chance of constant rain spoil the GFP for me one little bit you just go prepared for them and it's no bother

May 2, 2016
Northwest
I'll get some smidge, in case the homemade stuff doesn't work. If it does work, I'll post a how to for others to try.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, but a lab, whos basically a sniffer dog, and very inquisitive, would find them i think. I'll probably take him anyway.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I have seen Adders around the lake in Stirling univ, when studying there. They were small and didnt seem harmful to people.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE