Camping Areas (Herts/London)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fatduck89

Nov 19, 2007
Goffs Oak
Hey everyone :)

I live in Cuffley just off the m25 and not too far from Hertford, but I am struggling to find any places to camp. When I look on googlemaps to have a look of forests around me, it would appear I am spoilt for choice, but how do I find out who owns what?

There are a couple of woods nearby that I thought suitable for camping, but I took a stroll through the forest and found numerous shotgun shells on the floor! that cant be a good sign... :S

Any advise? I am desperate to get out there! especially with spring only around the corner (yes I am optimistic) anyone live close that knows of any suitable forests to camp? I am very responsible camper.

I also enquired at a local cub/scout camp called Tolmers but they said they cant have lone men camping in the forests wearing camo, but I do see where they are coming from...

Appreacite it.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
hi

Shot gun shells aren't necessarily a bad sign, it means the woods are used for shooting, probably by a game shoot. In my experience game shooting syndicates and keepers are much more in touch with the outdoors and woodland skills than your average person. They will be wary of poachers and strangers on their land but they understand the passion for being outside and amongst nature. Its also near the end of the game season so in Feb shoots will end and they will be much more open minded to approaches by a sensible person that can build trust with them.

Your best be it to get into the nearest gun shop nearest these woods and make some enquiries about who owns the land and who keepers on it. Don't expect answers on day one! Shooting types are cautious because there are plenty of people that are against what they do so you'll need to get your face known and build up some trust. when you have done this you can ask for permission to spend some time in the woods, but make it clear what you want to do and respect any access you are granted. Clear up after yourself, don't cut anything down without permission and report any strangers to the keeper/land owner.

Tell them you are a budding ray mears but leave the camo at home - it puts people off.

Best of luck.

Barry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE