camp pillow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
I know a lot of people will think me a softie but one of the keys to a good nights kip is a pillow. Most of us use our fleeces. (although personally I rarely use a fleece - preferring two lightweight wool sweaters). Trouble is that the fleeces tend to try to unspring themselves from whatever shape we've tried to tie them into.

A neat solution I've been using for years is a ventile pillow. (no expense spared, eh? ;-) )

Actually it's a ventile survival kit container made by GQ Parachutes and which used to be used n various aircraft' kits. I bought half a dozen a few years ago off Greedbay and use them to carry various things I don't want to get wet. When stuffed with a fleece or jumpers, they make great pillow cases. They're also good for float bags for river crossings and a host of other uses. Even all the seams are taped !

I know that there are other solutions but being a ventile fan, I try to use it where I can. Being orange, they are easy to keep tabs on too.

They cost me £0.99p each !!

General&

See the double velcro closure
pillow02.jpg

Cheers,
Dave

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Excellent piece of kit, never seen them before now.

Agreed about the pillow being a key to good sleep, I've always rolled up whatever is available, and wrapped a fleece around it, a trio of tiny elasticated hook clips (for securing bandages) keeps the whole thing intact.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"I know a lot of people will think me a softie but one of the keys to a good nights kip is a pillow"

Nothing soft about using a pillow, Nessmuk used one :D

"...Then you make your pillow. Now, this pillow is essential to comfort and very simple. It is half a yard of muslin, sewed up as a bag, and filled with moss or hemlock browse. You can empty it and put it in your pocket, where it takes up about as much room as a handkerchief. You have other little muslin bags—an’ you be wise. One holds a couple of ounces of good tea; another, sugar; another is kept to put your loose duffle in: money, match safe, pocket­knife..."

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:rolleyes:
may as well ask...er...any possibility of doing a swap?
(if you don't ask you don't get :eek: )

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Use a block of foam the size you want for a pillow.
Saw a 300mm length of 15mm copper pipe and leave the edges rough.
Insert in your drill and drill vertical holes down through the foam in neat rows evenly spaced .
Now drill from the front of the foam horizontal inline with the other holes so you cut into the vertical holes ,dont wory if you are not perfect but try your best
The more you drill the softer the pillow will be but the more it will roll up into a smaller sack for storage
In the film clip I saw one being made holes were also drilled from the edges to intersect all the other holes
Closer holes softer pillow further apart firmer, make to what you are happy with
Start with wider holes and if not happy drill more between
This was on youtube but I cant find it now
Mick

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Nothing soft about using a pillow, Nessmuk used one :D

"...Then you make your pillow. Now, this pillow is essential to comfort and very simple. It is half a yard of muslin, sewed up as a bag, and filled with moss or hemlock browse. You can empty it and put it in your pocket, where it takes up about as much room as a handkerchief. You have other little muslin bags—an’ you be wise. One holds a couple of ounces of good tea; another, sugar; another is kept to put your loose duffle in: money, match safe, pocket­knife..."

I always carry a couple of cotton pillow cases when doing overnighters, which work equally well.

11b inf

Jan 8, 2008
phx. az
when i was in the Army we would cut the arms and the legs off old B.D.U's/combats and sew the bottoms to form a bag... then we would stuff them with soft items and make a decent field pillow..we also used them for stuff sacks for items of kit,,,,now that i'm older i have a small purpose made pillow its real comfy to have and goes on every trip...vince g. 11b inf...

TrashCanMan

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2009
Basingstoke
I'm a seasoned tenter but not yet hammocked - I MUST have a pillow in a tent but what do you folks think about needing a pillow in a hammock? Needed or not?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I'm a seasoned tenter but not yet hammocked - I MUST have a pillow in a tent but what do you folks think about needing a pillow in a hammock? Needed or not?
For me yes in a hammock. Maybe not as thick but I use a cheapo inflatable but will get something better at some point.
D

Dec 16, 2007
would a pillow case do the same? I ask as the wife has made me buy new ones and if you cant fill it you can tie a knot in the end.

It's a crazy idea but it just might work.

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
I'll stand by my choice ! Only £0.99 each and has many uses - unlike many of the items subsequently listed.

Pillow case,
Float bag.
dry bag
signalling item (although I'll be sticking with my flares and strobes)
water carrier (several litres)
Sit on it on wet ground.

Even a genuine pillow case costs more and as for that "as used by Ray Mears" stuff ....................

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE