Camp Fridge...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The technology is known as "passive cooling" (google for it) and was promoted during years by FAO (among others) for fishermen and horticulturists.. Evaporating water takes a lot of heat away. You need unglazed pots allowing evaporation through the stone.

Mediterranean field workers have cooled their water and wine for ages, using this technique. A good example: the Spanish porron (like this one, but of course unglazed: http://www.folkcuba.com/botanica_ht/botanica_images/jz_12PorronPitcher500.jpg )

It only works when the air is not water saturated (not in rain forests).

We tried it and witnessed it sometimes works better when you put the container in full sun compared to a shaded shed. Strange field Fysics :cool:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
An easier sytem to use is draping a cloth over your goods, I think muslin is usually recommended, and having the bottom of the cloth in water. The water will move up the cloth by capillary? action and stay damp and evaporation cools your milk or whatever.The obvious replacement for muslim is your shemagh.
Not sure about direct sunlight speeding it up but a draught will certainly help.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Does any one remember those "camp fridges" made of zinc gauze and some form of insulating material with a little shallow depression on top that you filled with water . Remember we used to use those at scout camp in the late 50s early 60s ;)

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
this works really well, on my camping holiday to cornwall I put cans of beer into socks soaked with water, hang them in a tree out of the sun and make sure they dont dry out. 30mins later cool beer.

sc

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I suppose it's the same principle as the Aussies wrapping their tinnies in cloth, soaking it in petrol and twirling them on a rope above their heads! :D

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
ilan said:
Does any one remember those "camp fridges" made of zinc gauze and some form of insulating material with a little shallow depression on top that you filled with water . Remember we used to use those at scout camp in the late 50s early 60s ;)

Wotcher , Ilan.
This seems to ring a distant bell.

IIRC, one such type, was the "Ohsocool" (or something like that) and I believe it was an alloy ,or maybe aluminium, receptacle with a nasty plastic front door.
The whole thing, except the door, was coated in a couple of cms of what I think was plaster of Paris.
There was indeed a saucer shaped depression on the top.

Seem to recall that the idea was to let the whole of the coating absorb as much water as poss, then keep topping up the saucer, as evaporation happened.

Heavy as h8ll and not a lot of storage space, but they worked, kind of.

Cor, what trip down Memory Lane!

Ceeg

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
ilan said:

I remember them. Very sad.
It always amazes me that things like the subject of this thread are so quickly forgotten but on the other hand 12v electics are much more convenient.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
All the locals here simply take their bottle of white wine from the cellar, wrapping it tightly in damp newspaper, which helps insulate it on hot sunny picnics, whilst cooling on the outside via the same effect. After use you simply dry it out and use as tinder or take it home for reuse/recycling. Cheaper and more eco friendly than 12v gadgets ;)

On family camping trips we used to attach bottles of milk and wine to cord and leave them in a nearby stream. Works very well even in the height of summer.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
hi yes thats the stuff like a plaster but more porous the scout ones had wood door frames with a zinc gauze to stop the flys . They may have been ex war dept ? most of the kit then was . Hi nobby how is the boat launched her yet / ilan :)

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
When family camping as a child
My dad used a canvas bucket filled with water & hung in the breeze
great for beer & milk or anything water proof.

Also as I kid I came up with lots of uses for cold water on a hot day

Not seen a canvas bucket for years - anyone got a link ?

edit for less than £15 & must be porus

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE