Cameras

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Right I have a canon 450 and a 18-55 lens,
Not used it much as I thought the lens limited its use in the countryside, do I buy a larger lens or go for a compact like a used canon g10 I want to use it for screenary and may some wildlife in the mountains in lakes and other places. Compact would be a plus smaller size, or would I get better results using my 450d and lug the larger camera about thoughts please.

"Courage is being scared to death-and saddling up anyway!"
-John Wayne-

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Nothing wrong with your setup, if you want to do landscapes you might get a wider-angle lens, or just get a tripod and do panoramas. You can stitch them together in Photoshop (I think the cheaper cut-down version 'elements' does this too). My advice is to get as good as you can with what you have to hand, and then think about kitting-up later.

If you've got money to chuck about, some oblong graduated filters (Hitech are good) and a lightweight tripod/cable release would be quite the thing.

Here's a pano I did at Budleigh Salterton a while back, takes about 15 mins on the computer to put it together:

budpansmall.jpg

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
When Igot my nikon it came with an 18-55 and a 55-200, I found that what ever I wanted to shoot was too far for one or too close for the other. I have just bought a Sigma 18-200, same size as the 18-55, a little heavier but so much more usefull. I paid £98 for it secondhand, I think that new they are around £270, loads on ebay, I got mine from cex in Scarborugh but there website has them.

HantsScooter

Aug 1, 2013
Hampshire
Personally I would go for seperate lenses for landscape and wildlife on the DSLR and put up with the weight and bulk. When I take the camera anywhere it does add about 6kg by the time I have spare batteries, tripod, an additional panoramic tripod head etc.

As I'm a photography rebel and use Pentax bodies I don't know what's available for you camera so can't help with specifics but use a 10-18mm on an APS c sensor for most landscapes and on the odd occasion I try wildlife shots I use a 70-200mm. Both my main lenses are Tamron and therefore relatively affordable.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

HantsScooter

Aug 1, 2013
Hampshire
Sorry I was talking rubbish earlier my second lens is actually a 28-300, I traded in the 70-200 when buying it. In my defence I barely use now as I've been principal playing with 360-180º panoramas for the last year hence the pano tripod head.

Re: the 55-250mm if its the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II then a quick glance at the reviews suggest its a pretty good choice. I have seen some discussion that suggest there are issues with the 70-300 mm beyond 200 mm.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Re: the 55-250mm if its the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II then a quick glance at the reviews suggest its a pretty good choice. I have seen some discussion that suggest there are issues with the 70-300 mm beyond 200 mm.

Hope so I've just bought it

"Courage is being scared to death-and saddling up anyway!"
-John Wayne-

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE