Caledonian Sleeper - Scotland for a long weekend?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Thinking of going up on a Thursday night and returning on a Monday morning.

Has anyone done this? What sort of trip plan did you do? Ie where did you get off, where did you walk fri/sat/sun.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I used to use the sleeper quite a bit myself although the other way round from you, setting off from the Fort or Inverness to the big smoke.

The corrour dalwhinnie trip, would be perhaps better the other way round, how cool would it be to get on the train at Corrour straight off Rannoch travel too and get off in london? ;)

A night in the ghostly Ben Alder bothy, out to Rannoch, have a wander, wild camp, bag Leum Uilleim down to corrour jump on the train.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My son uses the sleeper when he has to go to London; he hates flying since he gets really travel sick on planes. He says the sleeper is the way to go, and that it's worth paying for the single cabin use. The train gets into London early, and there's time to get up, washed, dressed and breakfasted before leaving without any rush or hassle. The same's true the other way too. He says you can get some good deals on the price too.
I'd get him to post but he's in Hong Kong just now.

cheers,
M

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
My son uses the sleeper when he has to go to London; he hates flying since he gets really travel sick on planes. He says the sleeper is the way to go, and that it's worth paying for the single cabin use. The train gets into London early, and there's time to get up, washed, dressed and breakfasted before leaving without any rush or hassle. The same's true the other way too. He says you can get some good deals on the price too.
I'd get him to post but he's in Hong Kong just now.

cheers,
M

No doubt about it, effectively you're traveling while you sleep. A really good relaxing way to travel.

I was thinking of finishing at the distillery! ;)

There's nothing flawed in that thinking, but; I guess it depends on the weather, if it's from the north east or east then setting out from dalwhinnie makes sense, if it's a westerly airflow then corrour. Best with the wind at your back in that part of the world, distillery or not ;)

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I started to use the sleeper when I was at Uni and was commuting from Aberdeen to Barnsley and back every week. It was great but being a student I couldn't afford a private cabin, so I had to share with a random stranger. Most journeys were fine but I had one trip where my fellow occupant wouldn't stop producing the most violently, noxious farts. He was so loud that he would wake me up every time he let one go and I had ear plugs in! The whole cabin stank and I swear I could smell it for days afterwards. Ever since then I either booked a private cabin or I would travel during the day!! :rolleyes:

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
If you plan to travel with someone 2nd class cabin is fine as you get to share, you sort this out at the booking stage. A couple with two kids can use the adjoining cabin door to keep an eye on them in the next door cabin.

Have to say, when I travel on the sleeper I book 1st class for the solo occupancy. Had enough of sharing during my off-shore days. Of course, the Paddington-Penzance sleeper is all single occupancy, 1st or 2nd class, same company running both services (1st group) make one wonder why we're still having to suffer having to share with random strangers on the lower cost ticket with caledonia sleepers?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE