Buying Paraffin - Where?

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Just bought a 2nd hand Tilley lamp which is on its way. Popped to the shops to buy some paraffin so I can have a play when it arrives only to discover I cant find any - tried Focus DIY, Homebase, local hardwear shop - no luck :( . Where can you buy paraffin from? Am I looking in the wrong type of shops?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you are after a folding saw, B&Q also do the Wilkinson saw that retracts into the handle for about a fiver. I'm not on commission or anything, but once you start looking for one thing in there, you find other stuff. You could be in there hours if you're not careful!

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Aliwren said:
Are there any advantages/disadvantages of using this in a tilley lamp?

I don't know if the quality vaired but I have tried using home heating Kerosene in oil lamps and it blackens the glass in a few minutes. Shame really for those of us who heat using kerosene as it would work out very cheap.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Ok after lots of hunting around - local B&Q and three petrol stations all sold out!!! - I have bought 4 litres of a product called 'Parasene Superwarm fuel' from Homebase. The label says "may be used in all appliances that recommend premium paraffin BS2869 C1, for Greenhouse heaters, oil lamps, degreasing and cleaning"

It clearly isnt pure paraffin which I couldnt find - am going to blow the lamp/myself up with this or is it ok to use?

andy_pevy

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2006
Sandhurst
Aliwren said:
Ok after lots of hunting around - local B&Q and three petrol stations all sold out!!! - I have bought 4 litres of a product called 'Parasene Superwarm fuel' from Homebase. The label says "may be used in all appliances that recommend premium paraffin BS2869 C1, for Greenhouse heaters, oil lamps, degreasing and cleaning"

It clearly isnt pure paraffin which I couldnt find - am going to blow the lamp/myself up with this or is it ok to use?

Perfectly OK, it is what I use in my Tilley lamp.

Andy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Aliwren said:
Phew thanks! just wait for the lamp to arrive now :rolleyes:

Ali, if it is a Tilly (pressurised) you'll need meths to prime it. However when I was in the army, we often primed ours with some crushed hexamine tablet. I found the crushed hexy more convenient as I didn't need separate meths. That all changed when I went with the Trangia to cook on though.

Eric

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Just bought a 2nd hand Tilley lamp which is on its way. Popped to the shops to buy some paraffin so I can have a play when it arrives only to discover I cant find any - tried Focus DIY, Homebase, local hardwear shop - no luck :( . Where can you buy paraffin from? Am I looking in the wrong type of shops?

I found a place in Barking today, near Barking Creek with a pump for selling small amounts for 58 pence a litre.

I might fill a Jerry can up.

It's Kerosene and not heating oil, the heating oil is 67 pence a litre instead.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't know if the quality vaired but I have tried using home heating Kerosene in oil lamps and it blackens the glass in a few minutes. Shame really for those of us who heat using kerosene as it would work out very cheap.

Kerosene is all I've ever used. You just need to trim and adjust the wicks properly and it won't smoke.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE