Buying a wood

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Hi I am thinking about buying a wood, but dont know where to start, are there websites listing them for sale, how much should I expect to pay. Does anyone on here have there own play ground. The maintainance side wont be a problem( I trained as a tree surgeon and have over 10 years voluntary work in a forest), but what other pit falls are there.

Any guidance greatly accecpted

Many thanks

Chris

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
tagnut69 said:
Hi I am thinking about buying a wood, but dont know where to start, are there websites listing them for sale, how much should I expect to pay. Does anyone on here have there own play ground. The maintainance side wont be a problem( I trained as a tree surgeon and have over 10 years voluntary work in a forest), but what other pit falls are there.

Many thanks

Chris

I have two pieces of forest property in the Superior National Forest in Minnesota (near the Boundry Waters Canoe Area). I have the 40 acres my mother was born on, and a 136 acres I recently purchased from a friend (it was a sweetheart deal - he sold it to me for $15,000 and the going rate is now one to two thou an acre).

I will also probably inherit 240 acres of prairie, with a five acre woodlot, in western Minnesota when my parents die.

I would be interested in your ideas on caring for woodlands as I have some ideas - but have no formal training. The county forester has advised me to clear-cut both pieces of land and let it grow up in aspen - quick growing for further cutting. I'm not too interested in his ideas.

Not that I have much time to get to either of the forested lots.

PG

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
pierre girard;- in britain if you remove more than 5 tone of usable wood (ie, for turning in to lumber etc,) you need a felling lisence and depending where you are its easy or a total nightmare to get (im in national park) ide guess this would be the same in america although the quantity,s may vary drastically

if you dont visit the forested areas whats the problem with clear cutting them ? in 10 years they will be covered again and in 25-30 theres a cash crop ready (not that im familiar with aspens)
you could also look in to getting payed to plant hard woods on your land somthing that is very lucrative if the land is mostly unused
i mention this as a local farmer receive £50,000 2 years ago for planting around 6 acres of hardwoods and maintaining them for the first x amount of years (great for me i got to shoot the squirells.
what kind of animals do you have on your land ? is hunting an option ? also if ther is anything endangered or rare flora or fauna you will be greatly restricted

tagnut 69 i dont no anything about buying land m8 sorry but i do know of a great peice for sale, not sure where you live as i write this but as you leave wales to go to thet other place ....ye england thats it i remember now (snigger) the actual bit of road that the welcome to england and of course the welcome to wales signs are on is for sale i think its the A 40 symonds yatch area but im not 100%
it a wooded area not sure how large ,its full of dear and all the other wildlife that flourishes where dear feel safe enuff to do so .
just a thought :)

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Many thanks
Chris

Chris
The only woods for sale in my area are at an asking price of £3000 per acre. That to me is pretty scary. A friend of mine bought her land about 5 years ago at £300 per. If the land is suitable for building on the sky is the limit. That area for sale is around 8 acres and the asking price is £25000.
http://www.woodlands.co.uk/scotland.htm

This url is more than just Scotland. HTH M8

Tutchi
:cool:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
This site has all sorts of stuff . www.ecolots.co.uk even woodland. It is useful for traditional materials. This one is also a traditional trade resource. www.contak.org.uk. I have no association with either apart from being a useful place to find things involved with my work. :D Swyn

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
lyndon said:
pierre girard;- in britain if you remove more than 5 tone of usable wood (ie, for turning in to lumber etc,) you need a felling lisence and depending where you are its easy or a total nightmare to get (im in national park) ide guess this would be the same in america although the quantity,s may vary drastically

if you dont visit the forested areas whats the problem with clear cutting them ? in 10 years they will be covered again and in 25-30 theres a cash crop ready (not that im familiar with aspens)
you could also look in to getting payed to plant hard woods on your land somthing that is very lucrative if the land is mostly unused
i mention this as a local farmer receive £50,000 2 years ago for planting around 6 acres of hardwoods and maintaining them for the first x amount of years (great for me i got to shoot the squirells.
what kind of animals do you have on your land ? is hunting an option ? also if ther is anything endangered or rare flora or fauna you will be greatly restricted

tagnut 69 i dont no anything about buying land m8 sorry but i do know of a great peice for sale, not sure where you live as i write this but as you leave wales to go to thet other place ....ye england thats it i remember now (snigger) the actual bit of road that the welcome to england and of course the welcome to wales signs are on is for sale i think its the A 40 symonds yatch area but im not 100%
it a wooded area not sure how large ,its full of dear and all the other wildlife that flourishes where dear feel safe enuff to do so .
just a thought :)

#1. I need no license to cut wood.

#2. No pay for planting, though, if you play it right, you can possibly get the trees free. If I were to plant - it would be red (norway) pine. Aspen do not need planting - they come up like weeds. I'm just not much into logging, except for personal use. I'd rather plan the forest to have a good variety for future generations to see and visit. We are planning to place the larger piece of property into a family trust so it can't be sold or accessed by law suit.

#3. I don't visit them often as I'd like, but I don't want to visit an aspen plantation when I do visit. We may retire on this piece of land, build a log cabin, and live rather simply.

#4. Animals I've seen on the two forested pieces: Moose, bear, deer, fisher, marten, bobcat, wolf, grouse, etc. They are both good hunting properties and I plan to put up a hunting shack on the larger piece this coming summer. We will also be clearing some trails for snowshoeing/cross country skiing in winter. The smaller piece (where my mother was born) already has a cabin. Both properties have brook trout streams and good fishing.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE