Bushlore, by Rick Marchand...a knife review in progress

Back in the latter part of this past summer I was given the opportunity to purchase and test this prototype (leather slab handle) Bushlore from a man named Rick Marchand, founder of Wildertools In Wheatly, Ontario Canada.

Rick Marchand
Wildertools
Wheatley, Ontario
Canada
www.wildertools.com
rickmarchand@wildertools.com

With me having a major fondness for leather handled knives and having both seen many photos of Ricks work and having heard many good things said about it by people who'm I know for a fact know what a working knife is supposed to be like, I of course jumped at that opportunity.

I have only had the knife for a few months, and Winter is just now upon me here in this part of the world so the tests are far from over but I am very pleased with the results so far

PICT0894.jpg

Upon opening the package I was very impressed with the simple elegance of what I saw. I love the graceful lines of the Scandi style sheath which, while being simple in design,is obviously made by hand with painstaking care by a true craftsman with just enough small details as to be pleasing to the eye and not be overly busy or complicated. The stitching is done in superb fashion and the rivets are in perfect placement in the locations that will receive the most stress over time. I absolutely love the shades of the mottled color pattern which create a natural camouflage pattern which looks right at home out in the natural world.

PICT0889.jpg

PICT0890.jpg

Upon drawing the knife from it's sheath I was firstly very impressed with how perfect the fit was, Rick does an amazing job at forming his sheaths to their blades. Secondly I was immediately aware of how good the knife felt in my hand. The handle feels really comfortable in the hand and has a great shape for a firm but comfortable grip. Then upon feeling the edge I was very pleased to learn of Rick's ability, of which I had previously heard, to put an amazing edge on a blade. The density I feel in the hand forged 01 steel blade is fantastic and after moving it around in my hand a bit and feeling the heft that belies the size of the knife my first words were "now this is a knife". The positive energy Rick puts into his blades is obvious upon looking and to me even tangible in the feel. Even with the wonderful heft and density of the blade in the hand on the belt one could easily forget they are even carrying a knife except for the subtle movements while walking.

Since that day I have used this knife for many tasks and chores for which the angle of the blade to the handles seems to be perfectly suited...this knife is very user friendly.

I have used this knife to make tinder for may fire demonstrations...

PICT0508.jpg

PICT0512.jpg

PICT0519.jpg

PICT0520.jpg

and Sarah, my oldest daughter for whom the knife was originally bought (that is now subject to change change ) has used it to practice her fire craft a few times as well.

PICT0946.jpg

PICT0938.jpg

PICT0949.jpg

I have used it more than once for food prep in my kitchen
PICT0003.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT1012.jpg

and for whittling and notching cooking sticks for out door cooking

PICT0917.jpg

PICT0917-1.jpg

forkedcookingstick.jpg

PICT0197.jpg

Notlongnowalmostdone.jpg

I have even used this knife in the gathering,and cutting of wild onions which I often use in my cooking.

PICT0920.jpg

PICT0921.jpg

and those are just the times that I had a camera handy. I have used this knife to cut cordage and rope, cloth and leather and as a steak knife on a couple of occasions. Yes this knife has gone on many hikes with me and performed many tasks in the past few months and I have been very well pleased at how well it performed them all. In the thirty six years that I have been crrying fixed bladed knives, having grown up in a family of hunters, trappers, and fishermen where much of what people call bushcraft was simply our way of life, I have never been more pleased with a knife purchase. Hopefully it will get to process some fish for some fire grilling soon and we will see what all else after that.

Awesome job bro, very well done! Thanks for making such an outstanding tool.

It really does. I think it is a fantastic knife. I didn't buy it so much for me as it was intended for my teenage daughter (who often goes hiking with me).... once I had done with the evaluations and done the review....and now just as I feared, I don't want to relinquish it lol. I had at first thought it, with a 3mm x 10cm blade, would be too small for my personal tastes. I've grown up using knives mostly in the 14cm to 18cm range of length But the strength of this hand forged 01 steel is wonderful and it's size makes it very user friendly so now I have to get him to make another for me while I keep doing more evaluations on this one till it gets here...she won't even realize I'm just procrastinating :) .

Rick offers his knives with a variety of handle materials, he made this one as a prototype just to test himself but being as I have an affinity for leather handles I offered to purchase it and give him feedback on how well it performed. I knew it was a win/win situation as if the leather failed I had no doubts he would rehandle it in another material for me as he warranty's his knives against defects. So far the leather has held up wonderfully and as long as it holds up through the cold of the winter here I am going to order the next one with a leather handle also. I like the feel of leather better than micarta or wood plus it is more flexible and not suseptible to chipping and cracking and only requires occasional maintenance.

Thanks for reading.

Askdamice

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2006
Windsor Ontario Canada
Thanks Mist.... you are too kind!

One correction..... the blade is W1.... made from a Nicholson "Mill File".... differentially heat treated.

The overall length is 9" (just under 23cm) but it looks like a pen knife in those "banana bunches" you call hands!...... he he he.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
That blade does sing a bit. As Mistwalker says, it screams user at you. I dont like the leather handle but it looks comfortable and practical and kind of suits the knife.
The food looks great too and reminds me I haven't had oxtail for a fair while!

All of my favorite knives have leather handles....but they are not full tang knives, they are stick tangs with leather washer handles. I carried a Ka-Bar for many years. It was in the ocean, several rivers, countless creeks, and on my side through countless trips to the woods in every season. I now have a leather handled SOG bowie that has been with me for some years. I like the feel of leather in the hand. It doesn't seem to get as cold as other materials in the winter and warms up quicker. If I miss a little while batoning (which I try very hard not to do) it will likely absorb the shock and won't flake or crack and besides that it just plain feels good in a bare hand.

Thanks for the compliments on the food, lol, Ox tails are one of my favorites but the grocers sure have gotten proud of them lately the price seems outrageous unless they are on sale....I sure miss our farm.

Thanks Mist.... you are too kind!

One correction..... the blade is W1.... made from a Nicholson "Mill File".... differentially heat treated.

The overall length is 9" (just under 23cm) but it looks like a pen knife in those "banana bunches" you call hands!...... he he he.

Just telling the truth as I see it bro, well....excepte for the steel mix up. 9"? Thats less than three times the size of my thumb...., I guess I need to order the next one a little larger (and maybe 4mm thick)...maybe then you'll quit making fun of how large my hands are lol.

Hmmmmm....there is big a wooden box of OLD files out at my grandmother's house. Some near two feet long, two inches wide and damn near 1/2 inch thick....maybe I should sneak a couple out and have a go at playing with them in some hot coals...I have a good collection of hammers lol. Maybe I could make something that resembles something from the very early bronze age :)

I know I bought this knife for my daughter....but since she's not here to complain about it :D , and since I have been studying techniques with smaller knives... I decided to work with it a little more. The more I mess with this thing the more I like it. I used it to make some tight little curls on some fuzzies with. Shoot with this...and the tiny bit that landed on the floor, lol, yeah right, I could easily spark a fire to life. I'm really liking the handling and blade geometry, She better watch it...or watch me ;)

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

Now now Bry just give it to the girl . It want hurt long

Oh, I already did....lol, she knows it's hers I just still like to work with it. I keep wanting to have one something like it made for me...but Alas the money just isn't there. But...it's not like I'm hurting for knives or anything lol, so I guess she can keep it. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford having Red make me one of his.......if the economy ever picks back up. Been a long time since I had a knife made in England...the last one was lost in a house fire several years ago.

Now that's a good looking fuzzy - nice tight fine curls!

Thanks Red, I've been practicing. If what hit the floor would have stayed on the stick they would have looked REALLY good....I've still got a way to go there but I could have put them all together and still gotten a fire with a spark I think.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I know this is a real old thread but i'm wondering how the wildertools bushlore is holding up its been on my wanted list for a while....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE