Bushcrafty stuff from Japan?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Mrcharly I feel is touching the truth.

Many of the more expensive traditional Japanese kitchen knives use Swedish stainless steel. Many sites rate this steel as better than any Japanese Stainless steels.

One of the best Japanese Carbon steels is Aogami number 2 and the slightly better Aogami Super.

The "best" steels are supposed to be the Powder steels. The HAP 40 ( made by Hitachi) is one of the better ones. Hard as hell, but also tough, so it does not chip as easily. That is what they say at least
Another one is SG2, is supposed to be similar to HAP40.

From my own experience those hardened Powder steels do chip easily. I dropped a new Myabi with the inner layer of Cryodur hardened SG2, from about 3 inches height on a Stone worktop. I got about 5 or 6 small chips on the edge.
My Fallkniven knives ( have 6) all get chipped edges if treated roughly.

Are the Japanese knives better as a whole than the Western made knives?
Yes - easier to work with, edge lasts longer
No - wrong technique will dull the edge fast, also far more sensitive for trauma.

Some Japanese Carbon steels seem to be extremely rust prone, extra post-use care has to be used to minimize the rusting.

The industry standard traditional Japanese handles are made from Magnolia wood. Not a good wood, it stains, scratches and, according to many experts, does not last.
As it is constructed to be easily replaced this does not matter if you live in Japan, but here in the West a replacement is expensive and can only be done by a very few companies.
Other woods are better of course. Ebony, Rosewood and so on.

I am a self confessed knife nerd. For the past 20 years I have used, abused and destroyed one set of German made Zwilling, now use and abuse one set of Swiss made Swibo and use another set of German Made Zwilling.

Recently I bought one set of Miyabi 5000 knives ( Hardened stainless steel SG2 core) and a couple of "Artisan made" knives ( hardened Asogami Super) made by Moritaka and some others which are of modern manufacture ( Shun Blue, Shun Premier, Chroma, Kasumi)

The difference between the European and Japanese knives, if the proper technique (holding, sutting) is used, is astonishing.
Ease of use:
Zwilling = Swibo
Myabi = Moritaka ( + other Japanese)

What do I use in the kitchen now? Miyabi mostly.
Wife prefers the Zwilling, she is afraid of cutting herself.
The Swibo set is now packed to be transported to our vacation house.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The Silky saws are nice, very sharp (be careful!) but I trust more in the Bahco as it feels sturdier - but I haven't enough long term experience to make a proper judgement

Yes, Silkys. You'll soon adjust the push stroke to be very gentle and the pull stroke to cut. Once mastered they cut like nothing else.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
So it seems as though I am being steered away from knives but towards Silky saws. I already have one of the larger Pocket Boys which is brilliant. Does anyone have any thoughts about which other models I should try or should I just get some spare blades for my current one?

Another thing: what are the thoughts about their axes? Worth a try? I will only be able to squeeze in a hatchet/SFA sized one but they look interesting and purposeful...

all what's left of my collection are my 130mm pocketboy (== large teeth, but I'd prefer medium...., lives in my edc bag, price ca. 2500¥) and my 270mm gomtaro (= medium teeth, 3800¥@ the home center)-- both of them impressed my coworkers in Korea quite a lot as they cut wwaaaayyyys better then the s*** available here!
I also liked my gomboy......
I cannot speak for silky's axes but their natas are weirdly balanced compared to traditional ones--- trying to find a blacksmith's shop or hardware store selling hand forged axe heads would be a better idea IMHO.....

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain
I know little about Japanese outdoors blades but I have a lot of J-knives in the kitchen and they are not all out of this world when it comes to pricing. One of my favorite makers is Moritaka and if you get their line aimed at home kitchens in Japan then you can pay under $100 for a Gyuto and around $30 for a Kawamuki paring knife, sheep's foot design. IIRC that will be in Aogami #2, you will pay more for Aogami super steel. Other brands that are a wee bit more pricey but won't break the bank are as follows.

+/- $100

Zakuri
Yamashin
Tojiro

$100-$300

Masakage
Kurosaki
Anryu

These brands will use a range of steel. Some will be Iron clad White/Blue #1/2 and others will be Stainless clad AS, which will cost more.

That being said, many of these knives you can not buy direct so you will have to find a store that sells them and at times it IS cheaper to order them from the internet. You just have to know where to look. I am sure you can find them in shops as well. You can get waterstones and other maintenance items in Japan cheaper as well. I order mine from Japan while I am in Spain because even with the asinine import tax we often get hit with it is still cheaper than buying them in country and much cheaper than ordering them from the USA.

Have fun on your trip!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Www.moritakahamono.com is the factory site I used. Mr Moritaka is very helpful and writes good English..
I ordered octagonal rosewood handles, these carry an additional cost of around 2000 Yen as they are handmade.

The tang is is S/s.

Another useful accessory thy have is the combination cleaner ( rust removal) and honing stone.

I can highly recommend them!

AdeInTokyo

Feb 13, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
The main maker of outdoor knives out here it toyokuni

They don't generally make full tang knives. More likely use a 3/4 and 2 pins.

Must be said I know little about kitchen knives, most larger department stores stock a range, but they are very expensive, (imo) and unless you a chef, I can't see the point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE