Bushcraft Tanto Friction Folder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
I have had permission from Warren to do this. the idea came from this thread ; http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?126577-Bush-tanto-all-done-and-pics-added

My take on Warren's design , a Warren Smith Bushcrafting Tanto Friction Folder (WSBTFF).

The idea.

PIC_0606.jpg

Transfered to paper after transfering rough dimensions

PIC_0607.jpg

Make sure the handle idea actually works and blade fits neatly within it.

PIC_0608.jpg

PIC_0609.jpg

In the rough after initial grind of both blade and handle.

PIC_0610.jpg

What it looks like in the hand (rough and bloody BIG) :O:O

PIC_0611.jpg

Getting there.

PIC_0612.jpg

Further refinements.

PIC_0613.jpg

PIC_0614.jpg

PIC_0615.jpg

After HT.

PIC_0616.jpg

PIC_0617.jpg

Showing my stampings ......please note the 'B' is back to front or upside down if you like , anyway it's too late once it's stamped :rolleyes:

PIC_0618.jpg

Got to do a clean up grind , polish a little . make and insert pivot pin , and the finish the handle.
Oh handle material is Tufnol , I thought I'd use that as there was talk of dyeing this stuff a couple of days ago so thought it would be good to show ;)

Hope you like the pics Warren even if they are a bit rough....taken on the workshop floor they were :lol:

The knife has now been finished . The Tufnol dyed with Fiebings leather dye.
Blade is O1 and is 4.5mm thick.
Cutting edge is 118mm long .
Overall length is 280mm.

Here's the pics.

PIC_0620.jpg

PIC_0621.jpg

PIC_0622.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
It never ceases to amaze me what comes out of the "Lab", you're like a mad scientist on crystal meth!
Look forward to having a play with that mate. Must admit when you said you were itching to make a folder I was expecting a folding Seax or Bowie!
Top job as usual mate!

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
It never ceases to amaze me what comes out of the "Lab", you're like a mad scientist on crystal meth!
Look forward to having a play with that mate. Must admit when you said you were itching to make a folder I was expecting a folding Seax or Bowie!
Top job as usual mate!

Well , I must admit the thought has since crossed my mind as those two types of blades are favourites.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE