Bushcraft Physio, Jungle Cordage and Bedding tip

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
In need of some physio for my hands, I decided to try some cordage with a climber which is found pretty much everywhere in tropical Asia.

P8141404.jpg

If you have nothing to sleep on, an emergency spring mattress can be made by gathering armfuls of this plentiful climber. It is easily ripped off the trees and plants it shrouds and it doesn’t harbour any nasties. The mattress can be made quite thick and it will keep you off the ground.

This is what some aboriginals use as an overnight bed when they are in a hurry. All the chopping of saplings for platforms etc. which you see on telly is done if they are going to stay a while or Ray Mears some other white man needs a fancy shelter.

A strand is quite weak and unsuitable as cordage and I doubted that it would like becoming twisted line so we did a three strand braid.

P8141394.jpg

P8141395.jpg

It’s quite flexible and can be used in granny knots but these really weaken it.

The test was if it could support this price of wood – about 1m long and 30cm diameter at its widest. My guess is that it weighs 2-3kg.

P8141396.jpg

The knots used were a clove hitch and two wraps with a slipped hitch

P8141398.jpg

P8141399.jpg

It may not be the best cordage to lash a load bearing ridge pole but it would do the trick for many other lashing applications.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Here in Brazil we reverse twist similar vines to use as lashings. I just twist to start them and then thigh roll. It all depends on the particular species of vines. Some do very well twisted and with others it's totally unnecessary. A good habit to get into is to study the canopy where your vines are connected. It is very easy to pull a wasp nest down onto yourself.

We often use vines to lash load bearing poles and vine identification is as important as tree identification in other climates. We have vines that are very supple and relatively strong when green but become brittle when dry. There is another locally called "grungunga" that when dry sets up like steel cable. I have often found foot bridges lashed together with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE