Bushcraft location in Derbyshire sought please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Could do with a bit of advice please.

I'm looking to spend a bit of "quality" time with my brother next month, he has started showing an interest in the outdoors and fancies a couple of nights hanging about in hammocks.

I have my fingers crossed i will be able to encourage his interest, so plan on bringing a few rabbits, trout or like to teach him how to prep, spend some time teaching him primitive fire starting techniques and general blokes round a camp fire bushcraft type stuff.

As 99.9% of my outdoors time is hiking i tend to use a stove rather than start a fire, so am usually pretty good at finding quiet spots to "stealth camp" in.
Problem is though, knowing my personality i know that if we "stealth camp" and have a fire i will be on edge the entire time.
I know a few tricks to keep a fire stealthy but between the smell of a cooking stew and the smoke i think it'll be clear to anyone within a few hundred meters were we are.

So i am looking for a quiet and if possible fairly remote wooded permission where they allow small fires.
I am a bit anal about leaving fire scars (bit of a pet hate of mine) so i will either dig a small pit and recover when we leave, or will bring a old BBQ bottom we use and have the fire off the ground in there.

I have been searching and searching, i've made requests to several farms, land owners and even the Heritage foundation to see if they would allow us to make camp in the quiet bit of woodland near nine ladies.
But it seems as though our hobby has had more than it's share of irresponsible campers as everyone i've asked so far has had at least one horror story of drunk irresponsible folks, cutting down good trees, massive fire scars, leaving litter, leaving shelters and general rowdy irresponsible behaviour.

So does anyone have any ideas please?

As i say i'm pretty anal about leaving no trace, i don't drink and there will be just the 2 of us for 1 possibly 2 nights.

Cheers
Mark

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Thanks Pete.

Found a old thread from 2011 discussing Shining cliff, there was some concern at the time that it was very busy in that area with folks walking through the camp day and night, do you know if that's still the case?

Cheers
Mark

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Fingers crossed but i think we're sorted.

Had a PM from another member, few details to sort out but it looks absolutely perfect wooooo hooooooooo :dancer::dancer:

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Shining Cliff always seems to be busy these days. Up there early Saturday morning and it was already a busy place. Shame really. Too many people, so little space.
Riven.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE