Bushcraft in Cowdale, Buxton area

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm off on holiday to Cowdale in a week or so, staying in a barn conversion. The area looks very nice, but I would like to get out and about a bit. I will probably have the kids in tow most of the time, but if anyone knows of an area within 10 kms walking that would be good for a bit of bushcraft or a hike, please let me know.

I am also looking to get a fishing licence for a day or so to try a bit of fishing there. I would be after trout as I haven't fished for trout since 2000 whilst in the Falkland Islands. If anyone knows of a good area for this please let me know as local knowledge is the best.

Of course I am searching on the internet and will speak to the folk renting us the accomodation, but any info is welcome.

If you know any good areas, a grid reference on OS map is ideal, I can check it out with Get-a-map as I will purchase a map when I get back to Blighty.

Cheers for any help

Spamel

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Good area to walk? just head off any direction you choose! You have the whole peak district to go at.
Bushcraft is more trickey, the national park rangers won't like any of our passtime

M

marcja

spamel said:
Would I be able to use my trangia?

There's no reason why you should'nt be able to use a trangia or any other stove for that mater. It's generally openfires that our park wardens don't take too kindly to.

Marc

RichUK

Jul 13, 2005
Staffordshire Moorlands
Hi Spamel,

If you want a good walk with the kids I would recommened Axe Edge Moor And Three Shires Head its just outside of Buxton off the A53 Leek to Buxton road. See walk link http://www.peakdistrictonline.co.uk/content.php?categoryId=1960 Choose a dry day but not above 25C.

If you have no transport there's a bus from Buxton to Macclefield A537 that goes past the start. As for bushcraft around Buxton I don't know of good area's around there but I will check my map, also I always find Buxton cold even in the summer.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Thanks RichUK, that site is fantastic. Loads of info and we think the walk you suggest would tire our children right out! It looks very doable, I think we'll have to leave the buggy behind though and carry our daughter (5 months) in the baby carrier thingy we have.

The site also has info on fishing, so it's spot on. With regards to it feeling cold, I think we'll pack some warm kit aswell. Thanks for the advice.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
spamel said:
I am also looking to get a fishing licence for a day or so to try a bit of fishing there. I would be after trout as I haven't fished for trout since 2000 whilst in the Falkland Islands. If anyone knows of a good area for this please let me know as local knowledge is the best.

The Dove has a long-famed reputation, if day ticket water is available. It's where Charles Cotton taught Izaak Walton how to fly-fish properly.

Derwent also good.

Walking-wise, the whole Peak park is your mollusc of choice.

Tight lines,

Jim.

RichUK

Jul 13, 2005
Staffordshire Moorlands
Your very welcome Spamel,

I think we'll have to leave the buggy behind though and carry our daughter (5 months) in the baby carrier

The paths are too rough for a buggy or they are like single sheep tracks. Down by Three Shires Head its shelted a place if the wind blowing see map link then over Axe moor see map link its open moorland with great views.

p.s. just notice that there is a small wood next to Three Shires Head but its on a side of a hill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE