Bushcraft Curry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Right, got all my bits of paper together so i'll give you the ingredients and instructions for my curry that i did at the last Midlands meet. This recipe will serve 2-4 people but you can adjust it for more (i did)

First off is the spices that make the curry powder for the sauce :

Coriander powder
Cumin powder
Turmeric powder
Chilli powder (i used mild but if you like it hot, go for it !)
Curry powder

A teaspoon of each will do for 2-3 people but depends on how you like it. I use East End brand but other brands are available. You can pre mix the spices and keep in a small tub for when your "in country".

Other ingredients

Oil
Ginger 2cm piece
Garlic 2 cloves
Bay leaf 1 large
Cinammon stick 2cm piece
Cloves 2-3
Cardamon pods 2-3
Chopped tomatoes 2-3 tins
Salt
Meat of your choice in chunks/cubed
Vegtables of your choice

How to

Fry the
Oil, Ginger, Garlic, Bay leaf, Cinammon, Cloves and Cardamon pods in 1 tablespoon of oil till brown. You can take them out but i left it in apart from the bay leaf

Add the onions (chopped) fry till soft and mushy

Add the tomatoes

Add one & 1/2 - 2 teaspoons of salt

Add 2-3 teaspons of the pre-prepared curry powder and cook for 3 minutes or so to release the flavour.

Add 1/2 cup of water

Add the meat and cook for 5 minutes

Add 1/2 cup of water

Add the vegtables and cook till the meat and veg are cooked though.

Keep stirring the curry occasionally

Reduce the sauce by cooking it till its nice and thick.

Enjoy.

PS If you follow the above it will turn out fine but because the fires don't have gas marks on them just keep your eye on it and keep adjusting the curry till its right for you.

Serve with rice or naans or whatever you want.

I did ours with chicken and lamb and if you do these meats i suggest putting the lamb in first then a while later add the chicken.

Oh, if you do a seafood curry don't put the cumin podwer in as it is too strong a flavour for the seafood.

Bon apetite

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one Andy

Can't beat a good ruby when out in the woods. I tend to cheat though and take a frozen homemade job to defrost. My mate does some wicked chapatis in the bannock pan too.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Indeed it was:D

andyscurry003.jpg

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
BOO!!!

Not faulting that curry either! Top bit of scran that was.

Mind you. It was the 2 half cups of water added at the correct time that made it perfect......

Sorry Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE