Bushcraft Club Ireland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
North and south is finr Lore, LOL! You all look like you had a good time, keep up the good work 2009 really is the time for the Irish bushcrafters to take the lead and show what we can do!:D

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Maybe someone should organise some sort of super meet - North and South together somewhere close to the border.

Crapbag

I agree. I would love to meet up with you guys, I know there is a wealth of experience with you guys up North and we should definitely meet up.

The area we practice is perfect to meet up but because the land is private, there is a restriction on the numbers we can take out. So maybe Anthonios place would be an idea as he invites people to camp wildly on his land for a minimum fee? We would need to clear this with him first though of course

Crapbag

Another weekend at the IPNA and another weekend among some great people. We again had the pleasure of visiting the fast growing IPNA in Cahersiveen Co. Kerry. It has come along way since we first helped place the tarp over the classroom. Now complete with school house/kitchen, paths and facilities. It is good to see the guys/gals getting on so well.

I had the pleasure of meeting the first students on the residence program. Although I was disappointed not to be joining them, I am delighted to see them getting on so well.

P6200095.jpg

Máires first ember spoon

P6200088.jpg

Pontus one of the Res. students shared his passion for plants

P6200092.jpg

Some of us managed to get our hands on fresh flint for our fire kits. Then I left it behind :-/

P6200084.jpg

One of Aebhrics favorite lessons is the emergency fire. I wont ruin the lesson content. All Ill say is, if you do any of the bushcraft courses, you'll light plenty of these.

My Sincere thanks to Aebhric and Anna again for another fantastic gathering. My thanks also to Greg and Cat, with the Res students Ciara, Pontus and Bee. Their patience and time is greatly appreciated.

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
Great to see pictures of the weekend. Lost flint again Donal. I would also like to thank Aebhric and Anna for organising the Solstice gathering.Thanks for the support of the Residental Students, Ciara, Pontus and Bee and the time given from the two guest instructors Cat and Greg. ( I know this has been said above but it has to be said again) Alot of people arrived on Friday evening it gave everyone a chance to get to know each other around the fire. People sat and carved and chatted. Saturday morning there was a tour of the site with a very impressive debris group shelter ( big enough for four or five to sleep.) The rest of the day we were kept busy with plant walks , I learnt some new plants there. We were then shown how to make a fire bow drill set. I have done this before and thought no problem. I made all the pieces but when it came to using it I had alot of trouble getting an ember , I could get the black power and smoke but I just could'nt get it to burn. A quick cup of tea and with alot of effort I managed it. Lesson learned things don't always go as want them to. Saturday night we had a sing song around the fire and then time to tell tall tales. More activities on Sunday including some tracking and awareness exercises.
Very good weekend thanks to all at www.ipna.ie
Tony.

Crapbag

Well another great weekend in Co. Cavan and despite the weather we had a great time. Our thoughts were with those at Oxygen as we sat under Tonys tarp (thanks again Tony!) and drank tea and practiced some skills. We got a bit done and my wish for the weekend was to experiment with some tanning. I had some rabbit hides from a previous hunting trip that I wanted to play with. I hadnt done it before so it was all just a bit of playing around and seeing how I got on

Here are some of the pictures of the process. I tried a brain and egg mix and will smoke the hide when it dries. We'll see how it turns out.

P7110111.jpg

P7110112.jpg

P7110149-1.jpg

Maire wanted to try make a salve for infections and bleeding, it turned out quite well with a lovely natural green colour. She was just needed one of us to cut ourselves to see if it worked. No volunteers obviously

P7110121.jpg

We also had a go at firing some pots. I have done this in a ground over before but with the right clay and practice (minus one pot) they turned out fine.

P7110130.jpg

Still for me the most impressive experiment was Kevins Scandinavian fire log. This one log with only a little fuel cook his breakfast dinner and boiled water for his coffee. Kevin did this with a very wet piece of timber, out of the cover of the tarp. Fair play and it worked so well even in the rain with only the canopy covering him.

P7110142.jpg

P7110145.jpg

We also managed to fit in another ground oven. This time a Chicken which was another sucess. Moist and delicious.

P7110124.jpg

It was a great weekend and most made it out despite the forecast. I look forward to our next outing in August all going well.

Crapbag

Another weekend in Co. Cavan and the weather was much more cooperative. Although I was exhausted from work all week I had a great time. We experimented with lots of types of cordage. Kevin used brambles, the other Kevin and Flora gave the Willow a shot and I used a type of palm leaf that I think would be good enough for bow drilling with.

P8080166.jpg

P8080160.jpg

Maire made her first Willow basket which turned out very well

P8080171.jpg

P8080176.jpg

Myself and Tony also gave the hand drill a go. Given the difficulty of the hand drill in our climate, we teamed up. We got smoke, dust but were just short an ember

P8090185.jpg

Kevin also brought down his Ash bow project which seemed to be coming along well

P8090187.jpg

We also touched on bow drilling with wet, unseasoned material, making Rowan berry jelly (too early in them season for them) and also tested out our clay pots, identified different fungus and finished our debris hut.

All in all it was a great weekend. We did lots of exploring and had lots of experiments on the go. I cant wait for next month when a good deal of the berries, nuts and other edibles start to appear. Thanks to all those who came!

We've been in touch with the park rangers at Castlewellan Forest and as both the NIBA and the Irish Bushcraft club are proper organisations, we can book a large group camp site at Castlewellan. the sites are well away from the main camping area and have plenty of space for tents, hammocks/tarps etc. It's only £2.50 per night/per person. We can also use our site at Carnfunnock though it needs a lot of work by ourselves at the moment before we could host a meet up there, but it's one for the future. Your site in Cavan looks great as well.

PS. tell Tony to wrap his beard around the spindle of that hand drill. All he has to do is keep nodding his head. You'll have fire in no time! lol

Crapbag

We've been in touch with the park rangers at Castlewellan Forest and as both the NIBA and the Irish Bushcraft club are proper organisations, we can book a large group camp site at Castlewellan. the sites are well away from the main camping area and have plenty of space for tents, hammocks/tarps etc. It's only £2.50 per night/per person. We can also use our site at Carnfunnock though it needs a lot of work by ourselves at the moment before we could host a meet up there, but it's one for the future. Your site in Cavan looks great as well.

PS. tell Tony to wrap his beard around the spindle of that hand drill. All he has to do is keep nodding his head. You'll have fire in no time! lol

Many thanks again Gary. I am really looking forward to this. It would be nice to visit Castlewellan again. Its where it all started for me.

Cheers
Donal

Crapbag

Well those who said bushcraft is all tea and bannock. This weekend was mainly concerned with building a winter shelter for the coming months. It was a good bit of work and took most of Saturday/Sunday to get this far. Thankfully the weather held off and all the heavy lifting and sawing is done. We will be filling the gaps as much as possible and making the door a little smaller. There is plenty of room for 4 people plus fire. We have debated on the size and are agreed that it is a bit big but we are going with it anway.

P9270290.jpg

It will be quite cool when finished but there is still a good bit to go.

We also did some small food experiments including making dandelion more palatable and making some use of the elder berries. Robert also played with boiling an egg in an orange, interesting taste apparently

P9270287.jpg

Robert also volunteered for sleeping in the debris hut

P9270285.jpg

Apart from the bit of labour, it was a nice and relaxing weekend. It will be very interesting to sleep in the group shelter when the weather gets worse. We have decided on a rule for sleeping in it. Every time you sleep in it, you must do one piece of maintenance to keep the shelter in good order.

This is the badger sett I unwittingly slept beside when I set up in the dark on Friday. It was quite active

P9270282.jpg

Luckily their reputation as fierce,ankle snapping, rabid lunatics seems quite unjustified. In fact I relocated the next evening and the sett was used that night with fresh tracks sitting at the entrance.

We will be back out next month so keep an eye on the site

Crapbag

Another weekend up in Cavan and you can start to feel winter coming. The difference in temperature is obvious and the winter sleeping bag came in handy. We got some of the basics covered including making good old char cloth, made some bushcraft seats for by the fire and also made some progress on the shelter

HPIM1518Large.jpg

I made a heat trap for to jerky some pork, it worked very well. The trap stood at the top of a tripod and was much more affective than leaving them over the open fire.

HPIM1530Large.jpg

The jerky was very nice

HPIM1527Large.jpg

I didnt get any photos of the seats but they were excellent, nice work lads! I didnt get any pictures of them because I forgot my camera.

HPIM1519Large.jpg

A nice relaxing weekend. We also do a scout of the area and found that Lough Sheelin is a 5 minute drive away. Im hoping to get a canadian canoe and get some fishing going so we can get some fish for dinner next time. It also means that we can test out any fishing spears, lines or traps we make on the lake. So if anyone knows of someone getting rid of a canoe, drop me a line :)

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
It also means that we can test out any fishing spears, lines or traps we make on the lake. :)

And get arrested.

Trout season is only just finished at Sheelin, and the wardens will still be around. Fishing without a licence is a heavy fine, usegin spears/traps - will put you in lots of bother

The 59 statuet is a nightmare for the unlicenced.

I suggest stealth ! ;-)

Crapbag

And get arrested.

Trout season is only just finished at Sheelin, and the wardens will still be around. Fishing without a licence is a heavy fine, usegin spears/traps - will put you in lots of bother

The 59 statuet is a nightmare for the unlicenced.

I suggest stealth ! ;-)

We already have that sorted Loz ;-) but thanks for the warning. Besides its all just theory at the moment. So how come we havent seen you in Cavan yet?

Crapbag

I was asked by a mate of mine to run a bushcraft/survival course for Limerick County Venture scouts last weekend. As executive officer he wanted to re-introduce a good outdoor program for the county and asked me to put together a Bushcraft basics course to start it off. I was happy to oblige although I had never instructed these skills before. Andrew also volunteered to instruct on the course which was a great help. The course was based around making shelter, making fire, finding water and an introduction to food.

P1010341.jpg

I have to say that the Ventures were a pleasure to teach. They were very receptive, well behaved and enthusiastic. They all had a good bit of camping experience already so we concentrate more on wilderness living skills

PB070341.jpg

Our first topic was shelter. We went through the different types and shelter and built a medium term shelter. I explained the principles of the shelter and scouts had some experience already but never built a completely primitive one.

P1010348-1.jpg

We then we covered shetler we went on to fire. The uses of fire, different configurations and methods of lighting it. We went from the modern lighter and matches to the not so modern fire steel and eventually the bow drill. Nature once again taught us a valuable lesson. The forest was so damp after 2 weeks of rain it was very difficult to light fire using basic materials.

PB070346.jpg

From fire we moved to water and had a go trying to boil water in objects other than metal pots, such as plastic bottles. The idea being to try and think of a different way of solving a problem.

PB080352.jpg

Lastly we discussed food. We made some basic traps and discussed cooking. They really enjoyed the ground oven although it almost didnt happen due to the unsuitability of the local rock type.

P1010363.jpg

Altogether it was a very enjoyable weekend. We got alot covered and The ventures and leaders were a great group. We promoted the activity of bushcraft and the schools in this country and hopefully made some people think differently about their time in the forest

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE