Bushcraft Booze

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Has anyone here just out of interest ever made an alchohlic beverage from wild plants/sap/berrys ect :?: recipes and what it came out like please guys n girls :wink: (oh and i am available for any taste testing you may require :lol: )

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Paganwolf said:
Has anyone here just out of interest ever made an alchohlic beverage from wild plants/sap/berrys ect :?: recipes and what it came out like please guys n girls :wink: (oh and i am available for any taste testing you may require :lol: )

I used to make plenty of berry wines, but always with added sugar and yeast.

The problem is, that even a decent strain of yeast converts sugar to around 50% CO2 and 50% alcohol (by weight). Meaning that if your fruit is about 10% sugar, you'll get 5% alcohol (by weight). This is not enough to prevent other wild strains of yeast from getting in and converting your precious alcohol into more CO2 andwater, or to vinegar.

If you want to stay with just natural ingredients, without adding commercial sugar, you might have to try growing some of your own grapes, and concentrating the sugar by drying them, or by reducing the must by boiling.

Keith.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
we used to make elderflower wine. very nice inddeed but the book is back in sheffield.

wine making yeast is slower to repoduce then bread yeast so the alcohol will start off developing a bit slower but bread yeast will die from the toxins. I'll did out my biology research for the amount of sugar and alcohol that works best

jakunen

Native
I've also made a load of 'wild' wines - apple, pear (was too dry and revolting), raspberry, elder flower (refermented and was a bit of a wedding night killer for friend!) and berry, mead, dandelion wine, birch sap wine.

I used to make hedgerow port too - elderberry, hawthorn, rosehip and damson. I added a little tincture of capsicum just to add a little warmth.

Must start doing it again. I've just harvested my grapes and got 1 gallon of great tasting juice that should (fingers crossed) make some great wine...

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I've made beer from wild hops and wines and liquers from assorted berries.
With the help of a friend and some creative plumbing I found out what um, 'essence' of blackberries, wild plums and rowan are like.

I've got a blackberry fermenting at the moment that's made from the juice alone, it's come out very sharp indeed ( but not vinegar ), I think it needs feeding with a little honey to encourage the yeast to metabolise some of the acid.

If you want a real bushcraft one, try a variant on a technique used in quite a few areas where wild melons and squashes are found.
Idealy leave the fruit attatched to the plant, push a stick in close to when the stem joins the fruit and mash it around to pulp the insides. Bury the fruit for a couple of weeks, dig it up and drink the result.
I've never been tempted.
Realgar

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
where do you get wild yeast?

made a load of elder berrie wine year befor last.. finnished it this summer!!
the last bottle was a little sedimentie but appart from that is was a sucess!! and the first goo too! will certainly try it again soon!

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
A mate of mine at college in South Africa grew up on a farm in the middle of the busveld. He used to collect fruit etc when we had supper at the boarding school. Bananas, pineapples, apples, grapes and oranges hacked with a bushknife (panga) and added to a mixture of water and sugar + a small amount of yeast. No recipe, everything was just by "eye measurement" and "I think that we need just a little bit of that too, and perhaps a bit of that as well...". Everything was mixed in a 10 liter bucket with lid.
In the end after several days it became quite potent stuff, and more than once the lid blew off the bucket leaving a strange funny smell all over the dormitries at the boarding house - and everybody had a very hard time trying to convince the housemaster that the smell actually came from the outside.... :roll:
We all got quite good at bushcraft skills like stalking when trying to sneak past housemasters house and his :***: barking dogs at night to go to the koppie (rocky hill) for a rave :eek:):

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
tomtom said:
where do you get wild yeast?.....
You can make it from the white "film" covering the berries on juniper "trees" / bush. I've also read somewhere that the white powdery coating found on the trunks of Aspen trees can be processed into some kind of yeast.
I think that there is a chapter on this in the "Woodsmoke" book by Richard Jamison.... :?:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
A friend of mine makes nettle beers - and it has the same effect as those three legged stools!

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Wild yeasts are also found in plenty on apples - a couple of crab apples will get things fizzing. The most reliable ( as in doesn't result in green fur ) has got to be elderflowers. If you want a definetly safe source buy yourself a decent bottle of geuze or lambic and use it to start the brew - it's a spontaneously fermented beer.

There's a pear tree near me that has huge quanities of fruit - all sour/bitter, I reckon it would make a good perry. Has anyone tried?

Realgar

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
jakunen said:
I've just harvested my grapes and got 1 gallon of great tasting juice that should (fingers crossed) make some great wine...

Hmm, just make sure you store some away for next June when we all (hopefully) get to go on a big adventure with Gary!

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Hey all :wave:

Sloe gin/vodka is the closest I get. But boy did we have fun going out and getting all the sloes, so much so that we ended up with too many sloes for the amount of gin/vodka we could afford to buy... :roll:

Hellz

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Wine on dandelion are supposed to be really good, never tried it myself but have heard of many people that have tried it.

My gilrfriends parents have some wine they have made out of black currant and it has been stored for 12 years, and lucky me has tasted it and it´s really good.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I've got a elder tree growing over my fence with plenty of elderberries on it, off to the shed scotty :naughty:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE