Bushcraft beef jerkey broth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Having recently made a big batch of jerkey and experimenting with some home made hard tack biscuits I got to wondering if there was the makings of a hot meal here. Chopped up a handful of the jerkey and dropped in into a cupful (ish) of water, broke up the biscuits into a handful and tipped that in and added a couple of pinches (literally) of oxo cube and let it cook for 10 mins or so. It was really good.

These foods can be a little indigestable eaten cold but being dried are very light and portable, combined like this they make a very norishing stew in no time. the beef basically rehydrates and is easier to eat and the hard tack turns int a kind of dumpling. The marinade and spices in the jerky really come out and i think that you could dispense with the oxo and just add a pinch of salt.

Does anyone else have any trail food recipies like this?

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Here you go:

Old style pemican: 1/2 dried meat pounded into 1/2 rendered fat by weight, with seasonal berries added if available. Sealed in leather "parfleche" and used for long travels along with parched corn. The Metis in the Manitoba's used to sell pemican to the Hudson's Bay Company to feed the the Yorkshire Men in the Yorkshire boats that later transported the furs to the Hudson's Bay. This was during and after the "Voyageurs" and the fight between the Hudson's Bay Co. and the Norwester's Co. based in Montreal. Excellent fare for travel at that time bland and tiresome by today's taste but did the job.

(got the recept here on BCUK, dont know who cooked it up...Abbe)

Pemican is real good up here, you get a lot of fat. You can dump it in a soup or use it straight on a piece of bread or eat is straight.

cheers
Abbe

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Abbe ive read about pemmican loads of times. Have you a good how to do it sitting around, ie do you cook it , how do you make a parfleche etc.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Returning to the idea of jerky broth, I have wondered about stewing this along with dried mushrooms (Asda), hadn't thought of the hard tack dumplings though. Must try, thanks. I wonder if commercial (Asda again!) jerky would be too strongly marinaded and salted.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
A good idea, which I've intended to try but never got around to. The past few Moots I've taken a bag of jerky to add into a stew at the end of the week, when fresh food is running low, but somehow never needed to use it. I've still got the bag I took this year, so maybe this is the prompt I need...

Geoff

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I often stick some jerky into my stew along with everything else available. One I used on a canoe trip was biltong, a bit of mince that i took frozen, so allowing it to defrost over the first 24 hours or so, onion, peppers, variety of tinned beans, tinned tomatoes and then added rice and a bit of extra water. Boiled up for 15 mins while the bannock cooked - mmmmm mmmmmmm.

P7220341.jpg

I know its not that bushy, but you could downsize it to jerky, rice and tinned/dried veg and Im sure it would be just as tasty.

I like the sounds of the hard tack biscuits - just googled myself a recipe! CHeers for the recipe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE