Bushcraft Bagel ...... Hobo Style

more playing with my Asda Drainer and 12cm Zebra just to see what you can do already converted to Gas and suitable for a stir fry now we bake stuff

ok this is the second go at a little oven

problem was to much heat on the bottom not enough on top as in a proper oven etc

i decided to thin the patty down but also put a hole in the middle this would let heat up to the top and keep the dough of what i assume id the hottest part of the pan ie the middle

had a lok at some cake cutters which where the right size but had a soldered seam i didnt fancy
so founds a bit of 1.5" copper pipe and cut a bit off
and here we go the Bushcraft Bagel baker

mixed up a dough in the pan of SR flour, milk powder and salt with water formed a ring. put a bit of Veg oil inthe pan and put on the Hobo

hoboBAn3.jpg

Turned over after 10 mins
hoboBAn4.jpg

cooked for a further 5 mins

hoboBAn5.jpg

i used charcol as a fuels to make teh temp control etc easier now jsut need to practice with woods to get it right

also probablt a littel to much oil but was fine not burnt

could do Donuts next time with more oil

is it worth the hassle .............. yes probably its quick n easy to do annd tastey tho you will need to get teh fire to settle with embers etc

ATB

Duncan

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Some people have way too much time on their hands!!!:confused:

True - but is it wrong to want to have a go anyway!? :D

Nice tutorial Dunc! - never tried cooking a bagel but as you say the hole in the middle makes sense goodjob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me too :D

Especially since gluten free bread is dreadful unless it's just freshly baked.

Improvise..................

cheers,
M

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
HA! thats fantastic - now boil and egg, shell it and mush it all up with some cheese and cherry toms and whack it in that tasty looking bagel - all nice and hot, how does that sound for a bushy brekkie in the woods :). (grocery shopping still hasnt been delivered - bannock bagels looking v good right now)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
HA! thats fantastic - now boil and egg, shell it and mush it all up with some cheese and cherry toms and whack it in that tasty looking bagel - all nice and hot, how does that sound for a bushy brekkie in the woods :). (grocery shopping still hasnt been delivered - bannock bagels looking v good right now)

A proper bagel is boiled initially isn't it? - perhaps you could boil / poach the egg at the same time :D:rolleyes:

Oks next oven run
wasnt happy with the center chimney and wanted to get some real heat up top so following Dutch oven design ive made a ring to put a lip round the top of the lid and used it to hold hot coals this was a baby food can and is a littel bit to big to sit firmly but fine to try the idea (cause ive got one )
also Pizza this time

home dough base ie bannock mix with garlic butter salt pepper and Oregano
1/4" thick then topped with Tomato puree cheese tomatos and peparammi slices
i putthe hot coals on top and left it liek that for a couple of mins before puttin the whole thing on the hobo stove for 10 mins
a little burning o nthe base I guess more time before putting it o nteh stove etc

tasted pretty good and the smell of herbs garlic and bread floating round the garden was nice
think i over did the purree was a bit tomatoy
oterh than that very nice for a first try will sort out a better fitting top ring that wil also slide in the set
Hobopizza1.jpg

Hobopizza2.jpg

Hobopizza3.jpg

Hobopizza4.jpg

ATB
Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE