Bushcraft and survival skills magazine!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Over the years i have spent a fortune on magazines from s.w.a.t. to sailing , back street heroes to woodworking .
but now i can find more info and stories on the net , so i very rarely buy them anymore .

Craig.............

S.W.A.T now that was a brill mag

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Yes john i remember you well , very good and informative reviews.

It was a great mag and i had every one ,till i moved out of my parents house and my dad threw them in the bin.

combat and survival was a good read way back then and still is .

Craig..........................

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
So John just how many pairs of boots have you reviewed over the years?

Craig..........

Too many!
I do not own any shoes or trainers and, as far as I can recall, in the last 20 years I have bought 2 pairs (perhaps 3) of boots...and I am very heavy on footwear!
I even wear boots as slippers around the house as I am too mean to buy slippers and too lazy to change footwear from stomping around the woods to going indoors ...a hose down is all the boots get first (if they are realy dirty!)
Sitting here at the confuser ( and sewing a new knife sheath) I am wearing Magnum boots, Smartwool socks, 5.11 trousers, Woolpower thermals (it is a cold house OK), Silkbody T-shirt, Harlika wool shirt and a Regatta fleece ..... all review samples from over the past few years :)
If I cant make it I will get it for review - I love my work!
Mags I have written for cover everything from country living type mags to survival titles, Drama periodicals to TGO, Trail, and Canoeist,...I now even write for a Motorcycle mag..., my articles copied to publication around the world (sometimes with my permission!) and covering everything from recipes to walks, DIY clothing to survival techniques, true life adventure to photography tutorials.
I have self published 6 books (DIY gear), had 4 books taken up by real publishers (walks guides), contributed to about 4 "compilation" books on walks and outdoor techniques ...I am never bored!
In my spare time I am a Canoe Coach and Mountain Leader, I used to lead overseas expeds (Africa and Thailand and Eastern Europe mainly), was a YHA asst Warden, done my share on building sites as a labourer.... I make the odd crafts for sale, do a bit of Bushcraft instruction, have done a bit of TV extra work and do relief work for Mencap...and still never earn enough to pay income tax!
My first career was as a computer programmer - and hated it so much that I quit after a year! I never looked back!

I would love Tony to get the BushcraftUK mag back in publication!
It was one of the most interesting I ever wrote for!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You could always write for us John ;)

:D
I will think about it - I am just about as busy as I want to be at the moment....and my speciality is Gear Reviews...which you dont do in the mag!
I might think about a tutorial on making a wool shirt or similar - from a recycled blanket of course!
My qualifications for that are my Btec in Fashion Design and the time I spent as a Freelance designer for Craghoppers and Snowdon Clothing etc...yet another of my career streams...:rolleyes:

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I am jealous , the only free kit iv'e ever had was a trangia stove from the survival club for being the 1000 member .
Well that and tones of timber and building materials that the building trade throw out .

Craig.................

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am jealous , the only free kit iv'e ever had was a trangia stove from the survival club for being the 1000 member .
Well that and tones of timber and building materials that the building trade throw out .

Craig.................

I have to buy building timber......

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
A couple of years ago i was working on a job at Edinburgh university , we wraped the whole top floor in cedar linning .
there was so many of cuts that i filled my van twice .
my then neighbours had a woodburner and it lasted them for months .
I also spent years building pubs and nightclubs , lots of nice hardwood goes in the skip when they rip out the old to replace it with mdf .

Craig.............

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah that will be Bushcraft & SS Magazine issue 18 (diy woollen top), issue 25 (diy poncho liner) and the current issue (diy bush shirt) ;)

No No No - how to make one that you would be proud to wear down the shops...not just around a campfire miles from civilisation.... :D
Merinoshirtfromablanket.jpg

I mean, my dears, you have to have spent the time getting qualified as a Fashion Designer to get the look right (there is no smiley of a fashionista tossing his glossy locks over his shoulder so this one will have to do!:240:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Have to concede that's a fine garment John but beyond my expertise and my £20 Hobbycraft sewing machine! I think the old woollen blanket I have lined up will be an attempted bushie garment from the mag.

You paid howmuch for a sewing machine?!
Get you down to a charity shop!
My latest cost £7!
Good luck with the sewistry - a skill all should develop!
The shirt only has 9 pieces if you do not count the pockets and only uses simple seams - not a biggie realy....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a pattern for a bushshirt that is made from one piece and only needs two seams.

If you want a hood and a collar that adds two more pieces and another two short seams.

With very little work it will fit in a kangaroo pocket and flap.

Russ wears one of the bushshirts I make like this.

cheers,
Toddy

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Its simple ,if you dont like , dont buy and dont bitch about it . (no offence meant )

Totally disagree with you there lab.

I was just looking at the magazine's website, thinking of subscribing. Not impressed by the "taster" link failing to do anything other than come back to itself. That lost them a sale!

The I saw this thread and thought "Thank God for the warning" Saved my £29 it did -- so yes please everyone, please do bitch about anything that costs money and is substandard.

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
It's true hertsboy. I'm getting the other mag mentioned in this thread. They gave a good website. It's not as much and comes recommended. And check out there may day meet. That seems like a bargain to me. I'm buttering the missus up as we speak. Haha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE