Bushbox.. Redundant Gear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Over the Easter weekend, my lovely wife and two noisy girls went camping nearby, to get away, but also to try out different camp cooking methods.

We cooked everything, from porridge to cakes. On wood, charcoal, methanol, and gas

After trying all of the below, with mixed combinations:
Trangia 25
Trangia triangle
Firebox
DD firepit
Kelly Kettle chimney cooker
Kelly Kettle hobo stove
TJM fire anchor
TJM throw down grill
Gas hob
Unknown brand folding stove
Homemade rocket stove
Homemade stove
Petromax atago

The base camp Kelly Kettle and hobo stove was the most used and easiest solution to controllable cooking. Also the hobo stove and spare Kelly Kettle base can be purchased for £25 posted, so a bargain, and can handle larger cast iron pots.

The above is teamed with the Trangia triangle and is brilliant for 99% of my outdoor cooking needs.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What did the mrs say when you eventually showed her that purchase.....? Dog house, go now! ... Maybe :)
Wasn’t an easy one to sneak in, that big Astrolux, I had to come clean. I used the bag defense when I got the inevitable “Do you really need so many torches!”. :D

Reactions: gra_farmer

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Wasn’t an easy one to sneak in, that big Astrolux, I had to come clean. I used the bag defense when I got the inevitable “Do you really need so many torches!”. :D
Love it.....very funny :) when on your travels and possibly nearby you will have to show me that torch, we can enjoy frightening birds out of their roosts and upsetting the locals, while our lady loves shake there heads at us, disparing in their chosen mates :)

Reactions: Nice65

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Getting this back on track.....

I personally feel that open ground fires are not efficient, the use of a stove of any kind helps to direct and regulate heat, and should always be included in a kit.

Our family cooks quite elaborate foods, and cooking at constant temperature for 2 hours or more is very difficult without a cooking system, and almost impossible on open fires (without burning sections).

Reactions: Tosh JPN

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I think part of the problem with a lot of kit is that you have to make a decision based on something and then it does not work out. I have 58, Alice and now molle webbing that I have not used really. I am trying to get something out of the molle at the moment however it is heading towards I would be better to make my own set up.
I got lucky with the Kelly Kettle and the charger stove as I liked them as an idea and then saw them in the real world so did not buy. Three Points of the Compass has blogged my out of solar panels.
I have a cheap fire box which is basically a Trangia burner holder however it gives the option in the right circumstances to have a fire. If I could have open fires all the time I would be tempted not to have it. A thermal mug would make more sense as you could make your lunch cuppa that way.
I have been thinking of making my own for a while so I can change some of the design features so it was more hobo stove. One of the things that a Trangia has and a lot of the pictures of the original hobo stoves is they do not have many holes in them and the holes that are there are for a chimney effect so would like to play with that.

Tosh JPN

Jan 8, 2022
Japan
In these days few places allows us to make an openfire which damage the ground.
And also we often want to make good use of dry leaves and twigs around to cook one small supper with decent size of fire.
So, little hobo stove is very needed item , at least for me..

I've tried many kinds of hobo stoves since I started camping.
I tried japanese small grill "Captain Stag KAMADO", tried chinese "TOMSHOO" wood stove and others...
They were basically good with a little problem each, I always thought ”that famous BUSHBOX or FIREBOX must be better than this..." and kept serching cheap versions of BUSHBOX-alike in amazon for many months, and bought some others.

Finally, I got my real BUSHBOX XL Ti my Birthday+Fathers'day last year.
Then all of my small complains and discontent using Hobostove are GONE. That is Not because the gear is far better than other similer japanese chinese stuffs, but because it is world famous BUSBOX, you can't get anything better than this... You don't have to seach around anymore. If you found some problems , that what it is ,it's hobostove.

I barely take time eyes on hobostoves on amazon, recently.
Every time I go out , Im content about the kit I have.
I think thats the value of this expenxive stove.
Do I make sence?

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
In these days few places allows us to make an openfire which damage the ground.
And also we often want to make good use of dry leaves and twigs around to cook one small supper with decent size of fire.
So, little hobo stove is very needed item , at least for me..

I've tried many kinds of hobo stoves since I started camping.
I tried japanese small grill "Captain Stag KAMADO", tried chinese "TOMSHOO" wood stove and others...
They were basically good with a little problem each, I always thought ”that famous BUSHBOX or FIREBOX must be better than this..." and kept serching cheap versions of BUSHBOX-alike in amazon for many months, and bought some others.

Finally, I got my real BUSHBOX XL Ti my Birthday+Fathers'day last year.
Then all of my small complains and discontent using Hobostove are GONE. That is Not because the gear is far better than other similer japanese chinese stuffs, but because it is world famous BUSBOX, you can't get anything better than this... You don't have to seach around anymore. If you found some problems , that what it is ,it's hobostove.

I barely take time eyes on hobostoves on amazon, recently.
Every time I go out , Im content about the kit I have.
I think thats the value of this expenxive stove.
Do I make sence?
I understand, it can be trusted for its intended service and most of the cheaper models were based on this design anyway.

I kept looking for a long time for a cheaper version of the firebox stove, my wonderful wife bought me one for Christmas, and can completely understand why I never came across a cheaper version, solid stove with real design features.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE