Bushbox.. Redundant Gear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_Davies

Oct 2, 2021
South Wales
Recently purchased a bushbox XL and although its a fantastic piece of engineering I cant help but think to myself "whats the point?!" And have come to regret the purchase.
My £5 small lightweight grill can take a billy pot and a small frying pan and weighs almost nothing.
If you're camping on a beautiful green lawn on some camp site perhaps I can see the advantage of a bushbox as it won't leave a scorch in the ground, but when I'm in the woods it has always stayed in my pack apart from the first time I acquired it (novelty).
Yet they seem so popular
People rave about them and I've just concluded.. its really not worth the weight/faff and price tag as they arnt cheap.
Not sure what the point of this thread is other than a little rant and maybe open the floor to people's feed back who are Pro Bushboxes.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I blame shiny-itis, tbh.

Kit's fun, especially if it's clever and well made kit. It's a very human sort of thing to enjoy.

A lot of good kit gets bought, played with carefully, and sold on to finance the acquisition of even more good kit :)

Mostly, it's not needed though. Part of the appeal of the 'bushcraft' is to do a lot with very little. :approve:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I love mine, also the XL, the extra plates and bits make it very versatile, if you haven't already check out bushbox stoves on YT they cook up some mean meals and show some awesome combination's on stove set up.

Reactions: Paul_Davies

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I don't have a Bushbox but I do have a similar slot-together firebox. I use frequently.
Not all the time, mind you - my go-to stove is a simple gas stove for ease and simplicity. But if I am going to have a fire then I will always use the firebox. It probably gets used about a dozen times a year, about the same as I use a Trangia to be honest, and I wouldn't consider that a waste.
It's nice having different stoves for different times and different uses.
Would I use a firebox all the time? No. But then that's because I don't want a fire all the time. But when I do want a fire then I use it.
Maybe do the same - just save it for those times when you want, and have the time for, a fire. That won't be always, but every now and again it will be and you'll have the right tool for the job.

Paul_Davies

Oct 2, 2021
South Wales
Amen
I blame shiny-itis, tbh.

Kit's fun, especially if it's clever and well made kit. It's a very human sort of thing to enjoy.

A lot of good kit gets bought, played with carefully, and sold on to finance the acquisition of even more good kit :)

Mostly, it's not needed though. Part of the appeal of the 'bushcraft' is to do a lot with very little. :approve:
Amen Brother!
My inner chimp caught me out this time haha.

Reactions: Winnet

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I do not have any redundant gear.

I do have quite a lot of reserve gear, stuff that might be of use to the grandchildren eventually, kit that is too good to get rid of and may be needed in the future, kit that fulfills the function of museum exhibits (Gosh, Grandpa did you really live in that old canvas tent for a whole summer?) and kit that I might need as a swap.

But redundant? No.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I blame shiny-itis, tbh.

True shiny-itis :D

Do these have any practical real use for me. No, but they’re great fun..

Attachments

• 86EB888C-9080-48F9-A9DE-EC449E6BB1BC.jpeg
    86EB888C-9080-48F9-A9DE-EC449E6BB1BC.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 6FDEDBD0-BC08-453F-83F9-125BAEBC6037.jpeg
    6FDEDBD0-BC08-453F-83F9-125BAEBC6037.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: wookii and Dogoak

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
As you own the Bush box, set it on your lawn and use it!

I doubt that you don't kill the grass underneath.

I think it's the pure nonsense, something for people who have no bail at the pot or are unable to bind a tripod. The most superfluous item on the camping market.

Reactions: Paul_Davies

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
As you own the Bush box, set it on your lawn and use it!

I doubt that you don't kill the grass underneath.

I think it's the pure nonsense, something for people who have no bail at the pot or are unable to bind a tripod. The most superfluous item on the camping market.
I have pots with bails, can make a tripod, but I can also fry a full breakfast with ease.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Recently purchased a bushbox XL and although its a fantastic piece of engineering I cant help but think to myself "whats the point?!" And have come to regret the purchase.
My £5 small lightweight grill can take a billy pot and a small frying pan and weighs almost nothing.
If you're camping on a beautiful green lawn on some camp site perhaps I can see the advantage of a bushbox as it won't leave a scorch in the ground, but when I'm in the woods it has always stayed in my pack apart from the first time I acquired it (novelty).
Yet they seem so popular
People rave about them and I've just concluded.. its really not worth the weight/faff and price tag as they arnt cheap.
Not sure what the point of this thread is other than a little rant and maybe open the floor to people's feed back who are Pro Bushboxes.

Just remember this when buying future kit. Do you need really need it, probably not. Then you store it and never use. Start having Shiney knife collection syndrome.

Fatal and expensive disease in the bushcraft world.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
A decent rocket stove that really roars is an excellent asset but they tend to be heavy and bulky. I'd include the Kelly Kettle in this category. On the flipside I can't abide little stoves that need to be constantly fed pencil sized twigs and don't draw very well.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That torch is hilarious yet just the kinda thing I'd buy!
In pic 2 you can see it’s tiny brother, the Lumintop GT Nano. That’s a nutter too, throws a tight beam. Total novelty of course, but a real “Wow!” torch.

Probably get over a mile beam from the big one. I just had to have it :D

• Haha
Reactions: wookii

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
In pic 2 you can see it’s tiny brother, the Lumintop GT Nano. That’s a nutter too, throws a tight beam. Total novelty of course, but a real “Wow!” torch.

Probably get over a mile beam from the big one. I just had to have it :D
What did the mrs say when you eventually showed her that purchase.....? Dog house, go now! ... Maybe :)

Reactions: Winnet

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
I guess it's just another tool in the "leave no trace" toolbox if you don't want a ground fire. The grill plates that comes with them are also handy in that they do not require you to take another grill / pan with you to cook with.

I bought the Firebox XL for this very reason though like you I do wonder why I bought it. I prefer using my fire anchor with a small ground fire where possible.

Yes it's possible to "knock something up" bushcraft style, but I would hazard a guess that most trips out are to "get away from home life" and "relax in nature" so why not use something convenient to help you? In the same way I can knock up a bushcraft chair in a few hours, but do I really want to have to do that each and every time I head out into the woods? Not really. Sometimes it's nice just to head out without having to take all your tools with you and just relax in nature.

Reactions: Minotaur

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE