Bush Tucker Man

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
Mikey P said:
My apologies - I was thinking of the sharing of pirated material, which has been discussed a few time previously (for example: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=15999&highlight=copyright)
Many thanks for the link, i'll go peruse at leisure.

Mind you, if 'youtube' are making copyrighted material available on the internet (a broadcast media) - which is expressly forbidden without permission from the owner - then the legalities are still a grey area, are they not?
They are, but a lot of guesswork here, who knows whether or not the OP or Youtube have gained permission from ABC?, i don't, you don't, innocent until proven guilty not the other way around.

Anyway, I'm no lawyer, I was just wanting to make sure we didn't damage the site by doing something dodgy.
Nothing dodgy has been done, no copyright material has been copied by anyone on the forum, no copyright material has been uploaded by anyone on the forum, all there is is a link to a site where an item of media has been placed for the viewing of others. Nothing dodgy about it whatsoever, i'm sure i would have had a PM from the official Moderating team by now if i had of broken any forum guidelines.

Oh, and by the way - can I assume you weren't referring to me as a nazi?
You can.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
OK, perused the link, last time i checked Youtube wasn't an illegal download/torrent site, i'm not promoting the copying of the material (in fact i don't think YouTube allow you to download any material submitted) so i fail to see the validity of the point your trying to make Mikey.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Bhod said:
OK, perused the link, last time i checked Youtube wasn't an illegal download/torrent site, i'm not promoting the copying of the material (in fact i don't think YouTube allow you to download any material submitted) so i fail to see the validity of the point your trying to make Mikey.

Point taken. I guess this is one for the lawyers as I just don't understand the complexities.

I suppose if you watch a DVD which normally has that bit at the beginning saying 'This DVD shall not be hired, copied, broadcast, etc' - does that not count the same for sticking it on the internet? That is, effectively, a broadcast media. Well, I honestly don't know. :confused:

But, you're right - if it was all highly illegal, YouTube would have been shut down by now.

The bottom line is, if they released the second series of Bushtucker Man on DVD, we wouldn't all be having this conversation now! :sigh:

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
ABC could tell the person who put it up on Youtube to take it down, and would be able to take legal action against him if he refuses. I was watching a programme (can't remember what) and some comedian was on there saying that a user on Youtube had put up his live tour for viewing. So he contacted them asking them nicely if they could remove it, as he was still touring with the material and they were going to bring out a live DVD with it on, the user happily removed the link.

So I guess if ABC knew about this they wouldn't be too happy as its in direct competition with their DVD plus they own the copyright.

BTW heres a link to his DVD, its described as being classic episodes, maybe Series 1?

726476.jpg

http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=730436

Heres another one, pretty sure this is Series 3.

730436.jpg

http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=726476

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
That YouTube programme was a real treat. Thanks! Haven't seen Bush Tucker Man for years. Les comes across as the real deal!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Zammo said:
ABC could tell the person who put it up on Youtube to take it down, and would be able to take legal action against him if he refuses. I was watching a programme (can't remember what) and some comedian was on there saying that a user on Youtube had put up his live tour for viewing. So he contacted them asking them nicely if they could remove it, as he was still touring with the material and they were going to bring out a live DVD with it on, the user happily removed the link.

So I guess if ABC knew about this they wouldn't be too happy as its in direct competition with their DVD plus they own the copyright.

BTW heres a link to his DVD, its described as being classic episodes, maybe Series 1?

Heres another one, pretty sure this is Series 3.

http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=726476

Was it Ross Noble, the comedian? I seem to remember him saying something about that...could be wrong.

Les Hiddins did two series of programmes: 'Bushtucker Man' and 'Bushtucker Man - Stories of Survival'. There used to be a website based in Canada with a load of information on it about the man and the series but it has disappeared - http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~dawe/bush_tucker.html

The first DVD you show is of the 'Bushtucker Man - Stories of Survival' series - this is more a historical set of programmes talking about famous survival stories in Oz.

The second DVD is the first series of 'Bushtucker Man' - where he actually travels around the north-eastern part of Australia, looking a survival techniques.

They still haven't released the second series on DVD. Curses!

See Wikipedia entry also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Hiddins

This is a constant source of dismay to me - you might think that's a bit strong (and/or sad!) but I really enjoy these programmes. I never tire of them and have watched them many times. I think I'm going to transfer my videos to DVD as I'm not sure how long they're going last.

They actually did a few books too to accompany the series (and two CD-ROMs). The books included travel routes through some of the areas he'd shown of the TV programmes - I've always wanted to try and follow one but not yet had the opportunity.

Mar 28, 2007
essex
Does anyone actually have the 2nd series on VHS, notably the first 4 episodes, that they are wlling to sell, i have managed to get hold of the last 3 eps in the series, but am struggling on the first 4. ABC do not plan to bring the DVD of series 2 out due to (supposed) lack of sales of the first and the stories of survival DVD. likewise the producers are less than helpful. Discovery are not going to show it again, so its becoming a major rarity. A good site for all les hiddins and range rover fans is: http://www.remlr.com/btmnotes.html

It used to link his wine but now thats off the market to. if anyone has any ideas on series 2 come back to me on the thread. cheers

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Here's a good spot for you. If anyone saw the last episode of 'Victoria's Empire' on BBC 1, a Sunday night about 2-3 weeks ago, Victoria Wood was in Australia...and guess who she sat down and talked with?

LES!!!

He got her to taste Bush Banana, something else I can't remember and the cliched Witchetty Grub (which she ate despite being vegetarian). She wasn't impressed!!!

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
Here's a good spot for you. If anyone saw the last episode of 'Victoria's Empire' on BBC 1, a Sunday night about 2-3 weeks ago, Victoria Wood was in Australia...and guess who she sat down and talked with?

LES!!!

He got her to taste Bush Banana, something else I can't remember and the cliched Witchetty Grub (which she ate despite being vegetarian). She wasn't impressed!!!

I seen him on that too. Bit pox marked and a lot more aged yet unmistakably Les.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
........ I was watching a programme (can't remember what) and some comedian was on there saying that a user on Youtube had put up his live tour for viewing. So he contacted them asking them nicely if they could remove it, as he was still touring with the material and they were going to bring out a live DVD with it on, the user happily removed the link.

Saw the interview as well - can't remember which show either. However the comedian is Dave Gorman. The guy put an entire series onto YouTube because, as a huge fan he wanted to share his enjoyment with the rest of the world. The download was done without knowing that it was due to be released on DVD and willingly removed as soon as the situation was explained. The issue was dealt with in an amicable and friendly way (Nobody spat the dummy) without, if I recall correctly, lawyers - quite unusual in this day and age!

Matt Mallery

Jun 4, 2007
I'm an American who had never heard of the BushTucker Man until I went to Australia for a survival course last summer. A fellow participant urged me to get the two disc set and I'm glad I did. It's great! Wish I had bought the survival stories set as well.

Matt Mallery

Jun 4, 2007
Ash,

I clicked on the ABC link ppsted further up and ordered the survival stories. It came fast. I really like it.

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE