Bush Courtesy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
plenty of brewing potential out there mate

also a nice way to introduce yourself to other bushcrafters, by staggering into their camp and presenting them with a gallon of turnip ale :eek:):

Tant

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Chris is on track when approaching an occupied camp with Hello the Camp as people might be "indisposed" or "unaware" of your presence, just courtesy. We plant a staff with a "mandan" (family crest story board) hanging from it when in camp, :wave: when out we lay a branch accross the entrance to the tent to let people know we are not "home". In the deeper bush civility is the best form of bushcrafting, in camp tea is always offered, even coffee for those who like it.
just a thought :super:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Tantalus said:
camping is more often discouraged than it is tolerated or welcome, seems every inch of our little island(s) is owned by someone

as for trespass in Scotland, it is a fine line sometimes
walking and camping are 2 different activities
even walking can disturb livestock or game, so it is only polite to ask if you intend to camp :wink:

Tant

Welcome to Norway: the land where you can walk absolutely anywhere, and camp in 99% of anywhere. :ekt:

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
RovingArcher said:
As long as you don't shout out, "My knife is better than your knife" :yikes: maybe there won't be many problems. :lol:
Approaching a completely dark army installation one night, having missed the trail on the way home from a "Hash" in the desert outside Cairo, the half dozen or so guards :pack: behind the steel gate started fixing bayonets (I had stopped the car about 50yds away with my wife a friend and the dug and walked up alone)!!#!! :yikes:
Hands in the air, addressed them in Arabic, and asked for directions. Was told to wait (outside the still locked gate) while they fetched someone who could speak or understand English. When the appointed junior officer arrived, the only words he said in English were "Hello, how are you". Anyway, we made our way down a track to a locked barrier with another armed soldier on duty who asked where the flump we had come from :?: (we had obviously found our way into a restricted area)... "Don't know, we just want to gat back into the city" at which point he lifted the barrier and waved us on our way.
As Chris hints at, a drop of caution is always a good idea under any circumstances. :rolmao:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
An approach I have always favoured is to approach a camp within a comfortable distance (say a few feet) and to simple say hello and then await the guys in the camps response.

If they walk over for a chat great, if they just wave or nod and go about their business so do I.

Bush courtesy is a great thing I even carry a spare cup to offer a brew to strangers if they stop by but there are two things I hate. One is the 'guest' who insists on examining all your gear or even worse are those people who talk over, don't say a thing and just stare at you like your an alien species!
There seems to be no middle ground but in UK that is generally because most 'normal' people just dont do bushcraft.

As for the old custome of helloing the camp that was a safe practice to stop people nervous of attack from adopting the custom of shoot first ask questions later!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Gary, I pretty much take the same approach. Many folks head into the wilderness for solitude and I try to respect that as much as possible and hope others will do the same. I generally avoid other camps whenever possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE