Burner for Swedish Trangia stove

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I have had the above for some considerable time and have used it on many occasions. With no trouble. When I tried to open it to add fuel at the weekend, it started to unscrew with no problem, but after a quarter turn it stopped turning, not as if it was on a wrong thread, but more as if it had come to a sudden block of some sort. Even using various tools to grip the lid , made no difference. It is part full with meths so i have not tried applying heat to the lid. Any one else come across this problem? Or have any suggestions to help. The lid turns really freely for first quarter turn, then blocks to a sudden halt. Any help greatly appreciated. Stuart.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If its cross threaded, you'll need to carefully prize one side up with a screwdriver or such. Had to do a Tatonka burner at the weekend with the same issue.

I can't think of anything that would cause your issue unless its cross threading? The only problems I've ever had is cross threading and screwing the lid on before its cool which seizes the lid on properly.

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
Its possible that the lid was put on before the burner had cooled down and has partially melted the rubber sealing ring; wich has stuck the lid to the burner. If not obviously cross thredded, heat in boiling water and apply brute force or apply peneratring oil and then brute forca. An oil filter wrench or a strap wrench should do it. Hpe this helps.
Crowe

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Thanks for the replies lads,I am sure the problem has been to do with putting the lid on while the stove was still warm. I find it queer that the lid turns that first quarter turn no problem then jambs suddenly. I have tried one of the domestic strap type , jar openers to no avail, and also a rubber grip mat . I do have a very strong grip anyway, but I will have a go with hot water and possibly a prise up with a screwdriver

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I find it queer that the lid turns that first quarter turn no problem then jambs suddenly

This is the part thats confusing me. Is it a civvy trangia?

If so, I can't understand why its spinning if its jammed from thermal contraction-the cap is one thickness of metal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE