Burdock Root

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Any ideas on how to cook Burdock root?
I know about chucking it on the embers of the fire and then peeling off the outer but I just wondered if anyone had any proper recipes.
Dandelion & Burdock pop might make an interesting experiment for example.
Kind Regards
R.B.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
could probably slice it thin and fry or simmer in it in water for a while. Its related to the artichoke so could probably could replace it in recipies.

In fact I've just been told my one of my collegues, who is japanesse, that Burdock root is called Gobo over there and is used in stir frys.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
could probably slice it thin and fry or simmer in it in water for a while. Its related to the artichoke so could probably could replace it in recipies.

In fact I've just been told my one of my collegues, who is japanesse, that Burdock root is called Gobo over there and is used in stir frys.

I think japanese burdock is actually a different plant. It looks like long brown carrots I think.

I may give the dandelion and burdock a go, but I always find it difficult to get enough dandelion roots.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I don't know about the root but on my last outing my friends :grouphug: and I wrapped a suckling pig in burdock leaves and cooked it in a hangi. :D

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I also think you can boil and eat the tender young leaves aswel. Not so sure about the more mature ones. Id imagin them to be like rough cabbage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE