Bungee cords

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Are bungee cords useful? When there was strong wind a few days ago, my tarp and tent set up in the garden patio was taking severe battering. At one moment, the tent was shifting from where it was, and was going to fly away by the wind. The wind was about 50 - 60 miles per hour.

I had to take down the tent, and put it away, but the guy lines strapped and tied into the various poles and stones took long time to untie.
I thought maybe some kind of quick release guy lines would be useful and practical. But not having used bungee cords at all in my life, I am not sure if they would be that practical and useful for quick taking off and putting them back on.

There might be some traditional knots that I could learn, and tie the para cords for guying the tent and tarp?
What are your thoughts on this? Do you use bungee cords for setting up your tarps and tents? Or do you just tie them using some clever knot techniques?

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I use bungees all the time. They’re incredibly useful for various tarp configurations, amongst plenty of other applications.

A long bungee used in strong winds can result in lots of flapping about, but you’d just not use them in a way that was unsuitable for the conditions.

Reactions: CLEM

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I see no reason not to use guy runners on my tarp lines but a 'guy knot' (I forget the proper name for the moment) is very useful knot to learn.

Yep, we've just come back from N and NW Scotland, the wind was serious :)

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I have short bungee loops on the corners of my tarp, and then tie onto these using paracord for the guy lines. In my head it's to provide a bit of give in the guy lines so that the tarp isn't damaged quite so easily if caught in winds.

I tie the guy lines onto pegs or branches using either a Farrimond friction knot (adjustable tension, quick release and doesn't require access to the end of the line) or a taut line hitch (adjustable tension, not quick release, a bit of a faff if you don't have access to the end of the line but possible).

I like the Useful Knots app; each step is really clearly photographed and described, and it works offline. I also have a repository of YouTube videos for other knots not in the app, downloaded again for offline use in the woods.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
So bungee cords seem quite popular piece of gear, which are practical and useful. Better browse for some shopping online. Thanks for your info and ideas.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I see no reason not to use guy runners on my tarp lines but a 'guy knot' (I forget the proper name for the moment) is very useful knot to learn.

Yep, we've just come back from N and NW Scotland, the wind was serious :)

Strong winds are the worst enemy for tents and tarps.

Astrochicken

Jan 15, 2024
LLanrwst
For myself, I've used a couple of slim bungee cords in windy conditions on my tent storm straps - regardless of the tension in the storm straps we'd end up with the wind vibrating the strap and causing varying loud humming sounds, like some sort of giant wind instrument. The quick solution was to bungee the mid section of the storm strap to another tent peg in the ground, which allowed the strap to do the job without making sleep-destroying noise all night.

I've also got a really neat twist wrap bungee cord that is just two slim lengths wrapped around together along their length with the usual hooks at each end. The result is a handy washing line - you just open out bits of the wrap and shove laundry / towels / etc. through the hole, and the tension and twist grip the item as they try to return to the usual position. Great for no-pegs washing.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I've also got a really neat twist wrap bungee cord that is just two slim lengths wrapped around together along their length with the usual hooks at each end. The result is a handy washing line - you just open out bits of the wrap and shove laundry / towels / etc. through the hole, and the tension and twist grip the item as they try to return to the usual position. Great for no-pegs washing.
That is a great tip, I'll have to try that

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Thin bungee cord loops on the corners of a tarp, with a doubled length of knotted bank line creates a simple but very effective tensioning system. Added bonus of being able to stow the wrapped bank line in the bungee cord when packing away.

Ystranc

Settler
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I use short loops of shock cord if I’m setting a tarp between two trees. It just helps maintain tension without stretching the paracord or over tightening knots

Astrochicken

Jan 15, 2024
LLanrwst
I use short loops of shock cord if I’m setting a tarp between two trees. It just helps maintain tension without stretching the paracord or over tightening knots
When you say 'shock cord', do you mean like the shock leader on fishing line? Just wondering if fishing line of the right size / composition actually has some good use in the camping / tarp arena given how small and compact it is, and how much length you can get not much money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE