Bump - The Best Jacket for Bushcraft – Part 3. (With Images)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up All,

As mentioned in the Part 2 OP I have now completed the ‘upgrades’ identified to the KA03 jacket.

Elbow patches have been added extending down to the cuff (think prone obs);

A seat/heel guard has been added to the rear extending from just below the waist line to the bottom hem (heel guard? – think kneeling);

A cape-let has been created for the shoulders (I will cover this in a separate post);

A detachable hood has been created (image to be posted in due course).

The material used for the modifications is PU coated nylon recovered from a damaged, Austrian surplus poncho (£6.99).
This material is reasonably robust and a very good colour match for the KA03 material itself.

Although already waterproof I have given the upgrades a double coating of Fabsil Gold as I have found that this works well on my rucksack covers and poncho/bashers, not only in terms of water repellence but also in reducing the sheen of the nylon. (It also darkens it slightly).

Cotton used is the strong Gueterman 976 upholstery thread.

All-in, the cost is still well under forty quid – (my time excluded!)

BHJkt(ix).jpg BHJkt(x).jpg BHJkt(xi).jpg

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Thanks Philster (finally got back to the thread),

Just trying to prop up a very use-able, easily upgrade-able and above all good value for money jacket for bush- crafting (especially for those on a limited budget) - (hence Parts 1,2,3.).
Re 'The Best Jacket.... etc' of course I know that's a subjective comment - shame there isn't a 'tongue-in-cheek' emoticon to add to posts :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE