Bum bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The bum bag is useful kit at this time of year for when you're not (intentionally) planning to sleep out. You really just need waterproofs, food, water and small items, and even a 25 litre sac is unnecessary. Highlander do a 10l sac, or you can use a PLCE pouch plus yoke, but both will give you a sweaty back in hot weather. A bum bag is great when you want to travel light and fast.

My Lowe Alpine bag finally gave up the ghost and I'd been looking for a replacement in less gaudy colours. Very difficult to find, unless you buy the good but expensive Maxpedition stuff from the US. Finally found one, and as it's very cheap for what you get, I thought I'd pass it on.

It's made by Snugpak, and called the 'response pak'. Olive green, usual Snugpak build quality (much more robust than the Lowe Alpine), probably 6 to 8 litres, has a main compartment and 3 smaller ones - well sized for camera/monocular or drinks. Useful internal pockets for compass etc. You can strap ponchos etc to the top.

I saw it in the shop and figured it would be about £30, but the tag said £13.99 - decision made!. At the checkout the assistant also thought the price was too low (maybe they get people shifting price tags) and checked it with the boss.

If you google you can find them for between £13.99 and £25 or so. Very good kit. Recommended.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Is this what you mean Doc?

responsepak_green_300.gif

I've got a very similar one in black made by "North Face", they are very good bits of kit. :D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
That's the one.

In real life it is a very standard drab olive - the photo makes it appear a rather brighter green..

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I got one of those recently, very handy. The only thing I don't like is the big zip handles which I find a bit noisy... I think they'll be coming off soon. Other wise you might even say it's a bit overbuilt.

Apparently this pack is pretty much the same as the Maxpedition Proteus, 'twould be interesting to see them side by side.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
bambodoggy said:
Is this what you mean Doc?

responsepak_green_300.gif

I've got a very similar one in black made by "North Face", they are very good bits of kit. :D

Yes, it is a carbon COPY of the Maxpedition Proteus and have been told that you can't tell the difference.......................nice to see a company being so innovative! :eek:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
As the Maxpedition Proteus is around 60 dollars in the US, it seems that for once the UK is cheaper.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
i've got a 6+6ltr bumbag/small daysac that i got for subscribing to country walking a while back, its big enough to be useful and has two compartments. when you just need the bumbag part of it, the shoulder straps and top compartment roll up into a little pouch at the top of the bumbag. its made by deuter. if i find a piccky i'll post the link later
sc

nope, can't find it, maybe discontinued

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE