Bullroarer

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
They look great, Kepis!

When carving them, what part is most important in getting them to make good sound? Do you need a specific angle/curve/shape? Level of smoothness?

- Woodsorrel

The roarer is thicker towards the tip to add weight and make it easier to swing, the planform shape is not overly important, but the section shape is thick in the middle tapering to the edges, like a flattened oval, one of the things to make them work is to not use too thick a string, i use doubled up artificial sinew, very strong, but very thin, thereby giving less air resistance. They dont have to be smooth, in fact the rougher they are the more facets there are to "catch the air" which increases its volume, i only made these smooth as the wood is gorgeous and basically looked better smooth than rough.

Reactions: woodsorrel

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I like those; they're great fun but can be surprisingly tiring to use (well, with my clumsy technique anyway).

Slightly OT if you'll allow, I once carved one out of a piece of Camel Thorn Tree whilst camping in Namibia (wrong continent I know) - that's bl**dy hard stuff! I walked about a kilometre to the top of a rocky hill and tried it out. It made quite a noise and could easily be heard in camp. So, having made my presence known to the whole population within a Km radius (well, all 5 of them) I came down only to be told that my beige shorts (all that I was wearing) made it look like I was standing at the top of the hill bull-roaring naked! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE